How Does Electron Energy Affect Wavelength in a Square Well?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron moving past a square potential well with energy E=3U0 and the ratio of its de Broglie wavelength in the region x>L to that for 0<x<L. The participants bring up the relationship between energy, momentum, and wavelength, and the idea that the particle's energy must be conserved in both regions. It is concluded that the particle must have a greater kinetic energy inside the well, leading to a shorter wavelength compared to outside the well.
NeedPhysHelp8
Square Potential Wells?

Homework Statement

An electron is moving past a square well with energy [tex] E=3U_{0} [/tex]. What is the ratio of the de Broglie wavelength of the electron in the region x>L to the wavelength for 0<x<L?

Homework Equations

none that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for states of E greater than [tex] U_{0} [/tex] the particle is not bound but free to move through all values of x. The free particle wave functions are sinusoidal both inside and outside the well. I think the wavelength should be shorter inside the well than outside because of greater kinetic energy than outside. But how do i prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org

How is the particle's energy related to its momentum, and how is its momentum related to its wavelength?

I suppose, for the de Broglie wavelength, all you need to know is the momentum p. Classically, E (Kinetic) = p^2/2m. Can you go from there?

Hi thanks for the reply,
I understand that E= p^2/2m and then how to find wavelength from there. So that equation is for the kinetic energy outside the potential well for free particle where E=3Uo but what is the energy state inside the well? and why is it greater?

Energy is conserved. Outside the well, it has K=3U0 and U=0. Inside the well, U=-U0, so how much kinetic energy must it have?

oh I think I get it, so inside the well since U=-Uo then K=4Uo so energy is conserved! Thanks a lot Vela appreciate it

What is a square potential well?

A square potential well is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a potential energy function in the shape of a square. It is used to model the behavior of particles in a specific region where their energy is confined.

How is a square potential well created?

A square potential well is commonly created by applying an external potential to a particle, such as an electron, in a specific region. This external potential acts as a barrier that confines the particle within the square potential well.

What is the significance of a square potential well?

A square potential well is significant because it allows us to study the behavior of particles in a confined region. It is also used as a simplified model for understanding more complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.

What are the properties of a particle in a square potential well?

The properties of a particle in a square potential well depend on its energy level. If the particle's energy is greater than the potential energy barrier, it can escape the well. If the energy is lower than the barrier, the particle remains confined within the well.

What are the applications of square potential wells?

Square potential wells have various applications in physics, including the study of atomic and molecular behavior, quantum mechanics, and semiconductor devices such as transistors. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.