1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Square Potential Wells?

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    Square Potential Wells???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is moving past a square well with energy [tex] E=3U_{0} [/tex]. What is the ratio of the de Broglie wavelength of the electron in the region x>L to the wavelength for 0<x<L?

2. Relevant equations
    none that I can think of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that for states of E greater than [tex] U_{0} [/tex] the particle is not bound but free to move through all values of x. The free particle wave functions are sinusoidal both inside and outside the well. I think the wavelength should be shorter inside the well than outside because of greater kinetic energy than outside. But how do i prove this???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Square Potential Wells???

How is the particle's energy related to its momentum, and how is its momentum related to its wavelength?

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose, for the de Broglie wavelength, all you need to know is the momentum p. Classically, E (Kinetic) = p^2/2m. Can you go from there?

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

Hi thx for the reply,
    I understand that E= p^2/2m and then how to find wavelength from there. So that equation is for the kinetic energy outside the potential well for free particle where E=3Uo but what is the energy state inside the well? and why is it greater?

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Energy is conserved. Outside the well, it has K=3U0 and U=0. Inside the well, U=-U0, so how much kinetic energy must it have?

7. Feb 2, 2010 #6

oh I think I get it, so inside the well since U=-Uo then K=4Uo so energy is conserved! Thanks alot Vela appreciate it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook