What are the new formulas for x and y that will converge to $\sqrt{k}$?

In summary, the conversation discusses mathematical formulas and their convergence to a specific value as n increases. The two formulas provided will always converge to the square root of 2, and the question is how to alter them to converge to the square root of a different number, such as 3 or 5. The solution is to use the extended ladder formula provided.
ineedhelpnow
I'm not sure which category to post this question under :)

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with "Greek Ladders"
I have these two formulas:
${x}_{n+1}={x}_{n}+{y}_{n}$
${y}_{n+1}={x}_{n+1}+{x}_{n}$

xy$\frac{y}{x}$
57~1.4
1217~1.4
2941~1.4
7099~1.4

As shown in the table, the higher n gets, the closer $\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}$ converges to $\sqrt{2}$ (which is approximately 1.4).
$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=L$

If n is large enough, then $\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=\frac{{y}_{n+1}}{{x}_{n+1}}\approx L$

$\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=\frac{{x}_{n}+{x}_{n+1}}{{x}_{n}+{y}_{n}}$

$\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=\frac{{x}_{n}+{x}_{n}+{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}+{y}_{n}}$

$\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=\frac{{2x}_{n}+{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}+{y}_{n}}$

${y}_{n}{x}_{n}+{{y}_{n}}^{2}={{2x}_{n}}^{2}+{x}_{n}{y}_{n}$

$\frac{{{y}_{n}}^{2}}{{{x}_{n}}^{2}}=2$

$L=\frac{{y}_{n}}{{x}_{n}}=\sqrt{2}$

SO, as shown, the two formulas at the top will always close into root 2 as n increases. My question is how many I alter those formulas so that they may converge to $\sqrt{k}$. So for example, not just 2. But 3. Or 5. Etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
To extend the ladder for $\sqrt{k}$, you want:

\(\displaystyle x_{n+1}=x_n+y_n\)

\(\displaystyle y_{n+1}=x_{n+1}+(k-1)x_n\)

1. What is square root convergence?

Square root convergence is a type of convergence in mathematics where a sequence of numbers, when repeatedly taking square roots, approaches a finite limit.

2. How do you determine if a sequence has square root convergence?

To determine if a sequence has square root convergence, you can take the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the sequence has square root convergence.

3. What is the difference between square root convergence and other types of convergence?

Square root convergence is a specific type of convergence that involves repeatedly taking square roots of a sequence. Other types of convergence include geometric convergence, logarithmic convergence, and exponential convergence.

4. Can a sequence have both square root and other types of convergence?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple types of convergence. For example, a sequence may have square root convergence when taking the square root of the sequence, but also have geometric convergence when taking the cube root of the sequence.

5. How is square root convergence used in real-life applications?

Square root convergence is commonly used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance, to model the behavior of systems that involve repeated square root operations. It can also be used to solve equations and analyze the long-term behavior of mathematical models.