Is the Square Root of 0 Undefined?

In summary, the square root of 0 is undefined in the real numbers because the limit of the function does not exist at x = 0. However, when considering a complex square root function, the limit does exist and the function is continuous at x = 0. The use of the imaginary number i to disprove the existence of the limit is a red herring, as the definition of square roots is algebraic, not based on limits. Additionally, the question of whether the limit of the square root of x as x approaches 0 is defined depends on the chosen domain and codomain of the function.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is the square root of 0 undefined?

I was recently told that the square root of 0 is undefined because the limit of a square root didn't exist at 0. The reason is that from the negative direction you have i and from the positive direction you don't.

At first, i agreed with this. It made enough sense.

Then, about 5 seconds after i was out of the room, I pictured it on a complex graph (you know, y-axis = imaginary, x-axis = real) and noticed that the two points were getting closer together.

You could in fact say that .5i is closer to .5 than 1i is to 1. So, the limit does converge to 0 + 0i.

..right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is all a red herring. Square roots are defined algebraically, not by limits. 0 is a solution to x^2 = 0, so 0 is a square root of 0.

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sqrt{x}[/itex] does, in fact, not exist, but that's because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is undefined for x < 0. However, when you instead consider a complex square root function, the limit does exist and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is continuous at 0.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
This is all a red herring. Square roots are defined algebraically, not by limits. 0 is a solution to x^2 = 0, so 0 is a square root of 0.

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sqrt{x}[/itex] does, in fact, not exist, but that's because [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is undefined for x < 0. However, when you instead consider a complex square root function, the limit does exist and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is continuous at 0.

So it's right and wrong depending on wether or not you consider the complex plane... the fact that "i" was used to disprove it makes it... true? :rolleyes:

But I get it. Next time I'll just say it isn't defined and put a litte (in real number) next to it.

This is interesting. Does anyone else with ideas on the square root of 0?

JasonRox said:
This is interesting.

Chalk one down to not reading "limit of" in the question. :blushing: But it's good to know the question can go either way.

No it isn't (interesting, I mean), or am I being dense?

sqrt is continuous as a function from R+ (the non-negative reals) to R, and from C to C, and even from R to C (all in the usual {metric} topology).

Since a "function" without a domain (and codomain) is not actually a function the question is easily answered.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
No it isnt, or am I being dense?

sqrt is continuous as a function from R+ (the non-negative reals) to R, and from C to C, and even from R to C (all in the usual {metric} topology).

Since a "function" without a domain (and codomain) is not actually a function the question is easily answered.

Can you explain that a bit more, please?

http://www.vbforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1821439 : 3d graph with z axis as imaginary image, y as real image, and x as domain, the blue line is on z, and the red on y, they intersect, right?

I'll apologize for the ... roughness... of the graph. It's not an exact one, made with paint.

The square root of zero is zero.

I said to Mathematica to find the zeroes of [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] in the (-1,1) interval and the result was not exactly zero:

[tex] x \rightarrow -4.97297 \times 10^{-15} + 4.2265 \times 10^{-16} i[/tex]

:smile: Whats this?

Just to clarify, the question said "LIMIT OF" in it. So the question is: is the limit of the square root of x as x approaches 0 defined?

It isn't in the real numbers, but it is in the complex? Are (1,0) and (0,1) closer to each other than (2,0) and (0,2)?

Alkatran said:
Just to clarify, the question said "LIMIT OF" in it. So the question is: is the limit of the square root of x as x approaches 0 defined?

It isn't in the real numbers, but it is in the complex? Are (1,0) and (0,1) closer to each other than (2,0) and (0,2)?

Yes it's defined, and yes it's zero.

It isn't a function from R to R, so if we're even going to talk about having square roots of negative numbers, then we must mean from R to C, where it is obviously continuous at 0 since for any sequence of real numbers tending to zero, the square root tends to zero (in the metric and any other reasonable topology).

If you only want real output then the input can only be positive, and thus one cannot speak of taking a limit with a sequence of negatives.

Here is an interesting one though: consider the square root of e^{i\theta} as theta increases from 0 to 2pi. As you go round you find the square root of 1 from below is -1... how do we get round that?

matt grime said:
Here is an interesting one though: consider the square root of e^{i\theta} as theta increases from 0 to 2pi. As you go round you find the square root of 1 from below is -1... how do we get round that?

That's right, the graph should have 2 red and 2 blue lines. They still all intersect at 0, though.

I suppose limits don't really tell us anyhting about whether or not a function is defined at a point for example the function f(x) = 1 if x is irrational, f(x) = 0 if x is rational is defined for all x in R yet it is discontinous about every point! Yet the limit of f(x)= x/x exists for x = 0, but the function is not defined at x = 0 (and hence there is a removable discontinuity at zero).

The interesting thing about limits in the complex numbers is that whilst in the real numbers for a limit to exist we say that the limit must be the same from both sides, in the complex numbers for a limit to exist it must be the same from all directions (and there are an infinite amount of directions!).

Whilst we're omn the subject, if we're taking the limit of a function whose domain closed subset of the reals (such as the non-negative numbers), do we still require that for the limit to exist at a point that both the left and right-sided limit exists?

Only if sequences of numbers approaching from the left and right are all members of the domain.

Some phenomena:

the function from R to R that is 1 for non-negative x, and zero otherwise is continuous when considered as a function with domain restricted to the no-negatives. (compare and contrast to the idea of a subspace topology), it is after all then just the function f(x)=1 for all x in the domain, which had better be continuous.

also note that something like f:Q \to Q, f(x)=1/(x^2-2), is continuous.

though surely it is better, if possible, to think of continuity in terms of inverse images of open sets.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the square root of 0 being undefined?

The square root of a number is the value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In the case of 0, this value does not exist because 0 multiplied by any number is still 0. Therefore, the square root of 0 is undefined.

2. Why is the square root of 0 undefined?

The concept of taking the square root of a number is based on the idea of finding a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. However, 0 has no unique number that can satisfy this condition, thus making the square root of 0 undefined.

3. Can the square root of 0 be both positive and negative?

No, the square root of 0 is neither positive nor negative. In fact, it is considered to be a special case of 0, where it has no real value and is undefined.

4. Is the square root of 0 equal to 0?

While it may seem logical to think that the square root of 0 is equal to 0, it is actually undefined. This is because there is no number that, when multiplied by itself, gives 0. Therefore, the square root of 0 cannot be equal to 0.

5. How does the concept of the square root of 0 being undefined impact mathematical calculations?

The undefined nature of the square root of 0 can have significant implications in certain mathematical calculations. For example, when solving equations involving the square root of a number, it is important to consider that the square root of 0 cannot be simplified or solved for.