Calculating Square Root of 144400 Using Taylor Series | Understanding Calculus

In summary, you need: 1. Numerical value of f(a) up to the relevant f^k (a). (the k'th derivative, you choose point a where you know exactly: f(a), f'(a), f"(a)...)2. You should choose k depending on the desirable accuracy. (for this you must use the reminder)3. x is the point where you want to approximate the function.
smslca
1. square root of 144400 using Taylor series

2. I used the equation of sqrt(x) for x>2 given in http://www.understandingcalculus.com/chapters/23/23-1.php

3. I have tried it upto the 7th power and I got sqrt(144400)=1/0.209482810=4.773661

I know sqrt(144400)=380; and 1/380=0.00263157894.

So What is the power upto I have to go. Is that very large. Is 7th power not enough.
In case If it is not enough, then we can observe that for sqrt(144400) got different answers for different powers

Physics news on Phys.org
smslca said:
1. square root of 144400 using Taylor series
2. I used the equation of sqrt(x) for x>2 given in http://www.understandingcalculus.com/chapters/23/23-1.php
3. I have tried it upto the 7th power and I got sqrt(144400)=1/0.209482810=4.773661

I know sqrt(144400)=380; and 1/380=0.00263157894.

So What is the power upto I have to go. Is that very large. Is 7th power not enough.
In case If it is not enough, then we can observe that for sqrt(144400) got different answers for different powers

I'm not sure if I understood you problem but,
You know that 300*300 = 90000.
Or even 350*350 = 122500.
So I think it will be a good idea to use Taylor series on these points.
The general idea is to pick "known a" as close as you can to the solution.

Last edited:
estro said:
I'm not sure if I understood you problem but,
You know that 300*300 = 90000.
Or even 350*350 = 122500.
So I think it will be a good idea to use Taylor series on these points.

I have studied Taylor series in wikipedia, I did not understand how to use "a", i.e what value I should use. I don't know how to use Taylor series.

I just used the formula given in the url I mentioned above.

So Please clearly explain what u have said. And what does "use taylor series on these points". I mean how to use these points.

Write:
[tex]\sqrt{144400}=\sqrt{14,4*10000}=100*\sqrt{\frac{144}{10}}=\frac{1200}{\sqrt{10}}=\frac{1200}{3\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{9}}}=\frac{400}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{9}}}[/tex]

The square root in the denominator can be approximated by:
[tex]\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{9}}\approx{1}+\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{9}=\frac{19}{18}[/tex]

Thus, we get:
[tex]\sqrt{144400}\approx\frac{7200}{19}\approx{378,9}[/tex]

smslca said:
I have studied Taylor series in wikipedia, I did not understand how to use "a", i.e what value I should use. I don't know how to use Taylor series.

I just used the formula given in the url I mentioned above.

So Please clearly explain what u have said. And what does "use taylor series on these points". I mean how to use these points.

I think this can be very helpful to you.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/TaylorSeries.aspx
Basically speaking "a" is a point where you know all the information (numerical) about the function and it's derivatives.

Last edited:
how can we choose the value of "a" in f(a).

I made a mess in my previous post, using 14,4, rather than 14,44 at one point.

By a similar argument as the one above, we get that we can approximate the square root by [tex]\frac{7210}{19}[/tex] instead, which equals about 379.4

smslca said:

In whatever way you want! :smile:

smslca said:

TS.jpg

R_n (x) is the reminder. (look for Lagrange reminder theorem.)
When you use Taylor series you basically need 3 things.

1. Numerical value of f(a) up to the relevant f^k (a). (the k'th derivative, you choose point a where you know exactly: f(a), f'(a), f"(a)...)
2. You should choose k depending on the desirable accuracy. (for this you must use the reminder)
3. x is the point where you want to approximate the function.

* Your first step should be understanding the theory behind the equation. (use the url)

As I am new to Taylor series, and I am little confused, and in an urgent to expansion of sqrt
I want Taylor expansion for

sqrt{[(100*c)+21-p]^2-[8400*c]}

where "p" is constant. and "c" is variable.
and c>=1,

I know I should do it by myself. But I need it in urgent.can anyone please expand it for me.

Last edited:
The Taylor expansion is usually of [itex]\sqrt{1+x}[/itex] about x=0 rather than [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] about x=1:

[tex]\sqrt{1+x} = 1+\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{1}{8}x^2+\frac{1}{16}x^3-\cdots[/tex]

The series converges for |x|<1, so the idea is to manipulate the radicand to get it into the right form. If you want to find the square root of 47, for example, you could write

[tex]\sqrt{47} = \sqrt{49-2} = \sqrt{49}\sqrt{1-2/49} = 7\sqrt{1-2/49}[/tex]

At this point, you'd expand the square root as a series with x=-2/49. If you wanted a series for [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] when |a|>|b|, you would write

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \sqrt{a^2}\sqrt{1+(b/a)^2}[/tex]

and expand with x=(b/a)2 since |x|<1. On the other hand, if |a|<|b|, you'd pull the b2 out instead:

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \sqrt{b^2}\sqrt{1+(a/b)^2}[/tex]

so that x=(a/b)2 and again |x|<1.

Your problem is a bit of an algebraic mess, so I doubt anyone's going to do it for you.

1. How do you calculate the square root of 144400 using Taylor Series?

The square root of 144400 can be calculated using the Taylor Series method, which involves using a series of terms in a polynomial function to approximate the value of the square root. The general formula for calculating square root using Taylor Series is given by:
xn+1 = xn - f(xn) / f'(xn)
where xn+1 is the next approximation, xn is the current approximation, f(xn) is the function at xn, and f'(xn) is the derivative of the function at xn. To calculate the square root of 144400, we can use the function f(x) = x2 - 144400 and start with an initial guess of x1 = 400. Repeating this process, we can get closer and closer to the actual square root of 144400.

2. What is the significance of using Taylor Series in calculating square root?

Taylor Series is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to approximate complicated functions using a series of simpler polynomial functions. In the case of calculating square roots, it allows us to find a more accurate approximation compared to other methods, such as the Babylonian method. By using more terms in the polynomial function, we can get even closer to the actual value of the square root, making Taylor Series a valuable tool in understanding calculus and solving complex mathematical problems.

3. Can the square root of any number be accurately calculated using Taylor Series?

While Taylor Series can provide a very accurate approximation of the square root of a number, it is not always possible to find the exact value using this method. This is because some numbers, such as irrational numbers like π, cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction, making it impossible to find the exact square root using any method. However, Taylor Series can still provide a very close approximation for even these types of numbers.

4. How does the number of terms used in the polynomial function affect the accuracy of the square root approximation?

The more terms that are used in the polynomial function, the more accurate the approximation of the square root will be. This is because each additional term adds more detail and precision to the approximation. However, using too many terms can also lead to a more complicated calculation and may not significantly improve the accuracy. Therefore, it is important to strike a balance between the number of terms used and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Taylor Series in calculating square root?

While Taylor Series is a powerful tool for approximating square roots, it does have some limitations. One major drawback is that it requires knowledge of calculus and the ability to calculate derivatives, making it less accessible to those without a strong mathematical background. Additionally, as mentioned before, it is not always possible to find the exact value of a square root using this method, so it may not be suitable for all mathematical problems. However, for many practical applications, Taylor Series is a highly effective and accurate tool for calculating square roots.