1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root of a complex number

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the square root of: 4+4(sqrt3)i

put the answer in a+bi form

2. Relevant equations
    finding the nth roots:

√(r(cos(theta)+isin(theta)))=√r(cos(theta+2(pi)(k)/(n))+isin(theta+2(pi)(k)/(n)

where k=0,1

3. The attempt at a solution

first i converted my equation to trigonometric form: 8(cos(pi/3)+isin(pi/3))

then using "finding the nth root" equation above i got: 2√2(cos(pi/6)+isin(pi/6) and 2√2(cos(7pi/6)+isin(7pi/6)

i then converted the two answers to a+bi form and got 2√6+√(2)i and -2√6-√(2)i

im pretty sure i did something wrong. If u need me to go more in depth on anything just post a comment

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your answers in polar form look fine, but you made a mistake when you converted to Cartesian form.

2√2(cos(pi/6)+isin(pi/6)) = 2√2(√3 /2 + i/2) = √2(√3 + i) = √6 + i√2. The other root has a similar mistake.

You can check your work by taking either of your square roots and squaring it. You should get 4 + 4√3i.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    Woo hoo! Thanks for the help

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since it only asked for the square root you could also try
    [itex](a+ bi)^2= a^2- b^2+ (2ab)i= 4+ 4i\sqrt{3}[/itex]
    so that you must have [itex]a^2- b^2= 4[/itex] and [itex]2ab= 4\sqrt{3}[/itex]

From [itex]2ab= 4\sqrt{3}[/itex], [itex]b= 2\sqrt{3}/a[/itex] and the first equation becomes [itex]a^2- 12/a^2= 4[/itex].

Multiplying both sides by [itex]a^2[/itex], [itex]a^4-12= 4a^2[/itex] which is the same as [itex](a^2)^2- 4a^2- 12= 0[/tex]. Solve that quadratic equation for [itex]a^2[/itex] and then solve for a and b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook