Proving the Equivalence of Square Root of Complex Numbers

In summary, the expression \sqrt{1+ja} is approximately equal to \pm(1+j)(a/2)^{1/2} when a is extremely large. However, this is not exactly true and is only an approximation. The expression is derived using Euler's formula and the behavior of square roots on exponentials. The exact value is still unknown and requires further exploration.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

show that [tex]\sqrt{1+ja}[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]\pm(1+j)(a/2)^{1/2}[/tex] with a>>1

Homework Equations

Euler's formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

with a>>1
|z| = [tex]\sqrt{(1 + a^{2})}[/tex] == a
lim a-->infinity arctan (a/1) == [tex]\pi/2[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{(ae^{j\pi/2})}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = [tex]\pmsqrt a^{1/2} e^{j1.25}[/tex]

However, when I transfer back to complex form, I don't get it to equal 1+j. Not too sure how they got a/2 as well.

Any tips would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get 1.25 from, in the last line? That looks wrong...

I actually wouldn't bother with converting to decimals at all, since it would be inexact. Just leave it as [itex]e^{j\pi/2}[/itex]. What is the square root of that number?

That came from the square root of pi / 2.

elimenohpee said:

Homework Statement

show that [tex]\sqrt{1+ja}[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]\pm(1+j)(a/2)^{1/2}[/tex] with a>>1
You can't, it's not true. [itex][(1+ j)(a/2)^{1/2}]^2= (1+j)^2 (a/2)= (1+ 2j- 1)(a/2)= aj[/itex], not 1+ja. Of course, if, by "a>>1" you mean a is extremely large, then a is large compared to 1 so that is approximately true. Is that what you meant by "equivalent"?

Homework Equations

Euler's formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

with a>>1
|z| = [tex]\sqrt{(1 + a^{2})}[/tex] == a
lim a-->infinity arctan (a/1) == [tex]\pi/2[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{(ae^{j\pi/2})}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{z}[/tex] = [tex]\pmsqrt a^{1/2} e^{j1.25}[/tex]

However, when I transfer back to complex form, I don't get it to equal 1+j. Not too sure how they got a/2 as well.

Any tips would be great.

elimenohpee said:
That came from the square root of pi / 2.
There was no reason to take the square root of [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Do you remember how square roots act on exponentials? That is, in general, what's the square root of [itex]e^x[/itex]?

HallsofIvy makes a good point, too - I didn't realize that at first.

HallsofIvy said:
You can't, it's not true. [itex][(1+ j)(a/2)^{1/2}]^2= (1+j)^2 (a/2)= (1+ 2j- 1)(a/2)= aj[/itex], not 1+ja. Of course, if, by "a>>1" you mean a is extremely large, then a is large compared to 1 so that is approximately true. Is that what you meant by "equivalent"?

Yeah I probably should have said approximately instead of equivalent. The question I posted is word for word out of an applied electromagnetism book for engineers. When it says assume a>>1, I just assumed a to be infinity.

diazona said:
There was no reason to take the square root of [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Do you remember how square roots act on exponentials? That is, in general, what's the square root of [itex]e^x[/itex]?

HallsofIvy makes a good point, too - I didn't realize that at first.

WHOOPS, I meant to type 0.785 instead of 1.25. I guess that's what I get for trying to simplify without looking at my hand written work. In either case, it still doesn't seem to work out. I'm kind of stumped as how to prove the (a/2)^1/2 part.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1.

2. What is the square root of a complex number?

The square root of a complex number is another complex number that, when squared, gives the original complex number. It can be found by taking the square root of the real and imaginary parts separately and combining them using the complex number notation.

3. Can a complex number have multiple square roots?

Yes, a complex number can have two square roots. This is because when we square a complex number, we get a negative number, and taking the square root of a negative number can result in two possible answers.

4. How do I find the square root of a complex number?

To find the square root of a complex number, you can use the formula √(a+bi) = ± √a + √(b/2) i, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. You can also use the polar form of a complex number and take the square root of the magnitude and divide the angle by 2.

5. What is the significance of the square root of a complex number?

The square root of a complex number has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve equations involving complex numbers, find solutions to differential equations, and in signal processing. It also has connections to geometry, specifically the concept of rotation in the complex plane.