1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root of two

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this task we will show that √2 is irrational. Assume that √2 = a/b where both a and b are natural numbers. Let a = p1p2p3...pn, and b = q1q2q3...qm be the prime factors

a) explain why 2q1q1q2q2q3q3...qmqm = p1p1p2p2p3p3...pnpn

√2=a/b

b√2=a

√2q1q2q3...qm=p1p2p3...pn

(√2(q1q2q3...qm))2=(p1p2p3...pn)2

2q1q1q2q2q3q3...qmqm = p1p1p2p2p3p3...pnpn

b) explain why there can't be the same amount of 2-factors on the left and the right

Im stuck on this one...

Is it because then a and b could be further shortened/divided?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Is there some reason why you didn't write that as [tex]
    2q_1^2 \dots q_m^2 = p_1^2 \dots p_n^2?[/tex]

The left hand side is even. Therefore the right hand side is also. But the right hand side is the square of an integer, [itex]a[/itex]. Either [itex]a[/itex] is even or [itex]a[/itex] is odd. Only one of these is possible if [itex]a^2[/itex] must be even. What does that say about the minimum number of times [itex]a^2[/itex] can be divided by 2? What can you then say about the integer [itex]b^2 = a^2/2[/itex]?

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    No, the book wrote it that way. So i did to.

I don't know how to prove it, but i remember that if a2 is even, then a is even also(given that a2 is a square number which we know it is, because a was a whole number). So a is even and that would imply that i could write a=(2k) where k is a natural number 1, 2, 3, 4... If i square this i get that a2=(2k)2=4k2. I see from this that a2 could be divided by 2 two times and still be a natural number. If i know look at b2=a2/2 i can see that a2/2 can be written as 2k2.

We get that:
    b2=2k2

b2/k2=2

b/k=√2

This last result goes against what what we assumed. That a and b had no common factors? (the task doesn't really assume this, i assume this)

(Or maybe we don't have to assume that a and b had no common factors. We can rather argue that since we originally had √2=a/b and got that this could be rewritten to √2=b/k, we could just repeat the process an infinite amount of times, and thus removing an infinite amount of 2-factors from the fraction. And this is absurd. So there can't be the same amount of 2-factors on the left and the right.)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Aug 31, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You seem to be mixing up two different proofs. The simplest, which I think you've almost got above, is:

Assume a, b have no common factors, then show that a and b are both even. You don't need prime factorisations for this.

There is another proof using the unique prime factorisation of a and b. This can be used to show that if a and b have no common factors, then ##a^2## and ##b^2## have no common factors. Therefore, the square root of any whole number is either a whole number or irrational; it's never a/b with b ≠ 1.

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5
    there is also a (last) task c)

Use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic to derive a contradiction
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't i be doing task c if i do what you say?

I think I'm just supposed to - at least for now - explain why there can't be the same amount of 2-factors on the left and the right...

7. Aug 31, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

Is the number of factors of 2 on the left even or odd?
    Is the number of factors of 2 on the right even or odd?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted