What is the proof for minimizing the sum of distances on a sliced rectangle?

In summary, the conversation involves investigating a math modeling task where a rectangle is sliced by a line and various points and distances are being examined. The argument states that if the square of the distance is minimized, then the distance itself is also minimized. The conversation also discusses the conventions used for denoting points and distances in high school geometry.
melkorthefoul

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm doing a rather long math modelling task. As part of the task, I have to investigate the following argument:

There is a rectangle ABCD. It is sliced by the line EF, such that EF is parallel to AD and BC. M is the midpoint of BC. X is a point on the line EF (the position of X, which is denoted as x, is the variable in this investigation).

If, for a given value of x, the square of the distance AX is minimized, then for this value of x the distance AX is also minimized (proved that). Then, if, for a given value of x, the square of the distance XM is minimized, then for this value of x the distance XM is also minimized (Proved that the same way). Therefore, if the sum of the squares of the distances AX and XM are minimized for a given value of x, then the sum of the distances (AX+XM) is also minimized (Need just a bit of advice here)

Homework Equations

AX2=f(x)
XM2=g(x)
AX2+XM2=h(x)
AX+XM=i(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've kinda proved the last bit as well, by saying that the square root of (a+b) does not equal the square root of a plus the square root of b, as the argument assumes that the square root of h(x) = i(x) . However, I just wanted to clarify something: would saying just this be enough, or do I have to prove it? And how would I go about doing that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
melkorthefoul said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm doing a rather long math modelling task. As part of the task, I have to investigate the following argument:

There is a rectangle ABCD. It is sliced by the line EF, such that EF is parallel to AD and BC. M is the midpoint of BC. X is a point on the line EF (the position of X, which is denoted as x, is the variable in this investigation)

If, for a given value of x, AX2 is minimized, then for this value of x AX is also minimized (proved that). Then, if, for a given value of x, XM2 is minimized, then for this value of x XM is also minimized (Proved that the same way). Therefore, if (AX2+XM2) is minimized for a given value of x, then (AX+XM) is also minimized (Need just a bit of advice here)

Homework Equations

AX2=f(x)
XM2=g(x)
AX2+XM2=h(x)
AX+XM=i(x)
This is all very confusing. A, B, C, D, X and M are the names of points. What are AX and XM supposed to represent? Is AX the line segment between A and X? Is AX2 the square of the magnitude of AX?
melkorthefoul said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I've kinda proved the last bit as well, by saying that the square root of (a+b) does not equal the square root of a plus the square root of b, as the argument assumes that the square root of h(x) = i(x) . However, I just wanted to clarify something: would saying just this be enough, or do I have to prove it? And how would I go about doing that?

Mark44 said:
This is all very confusing. A, B, C, D, X and M are the names of points. What are AX and XM supposed to represent? Is AX the line segment between A and X? Is AX2 the square of the magnitude of AX?
Yeah, I found it confusing too, but it's a convention used in high-school geometry. The line segment between two points A and X is denoted [tex]\overline{AX}[/tex] whereas its length is denoted AX, without the overline.

Whoops... clarified what AX and XM stand for. My bad :D

The minimum value of AX + XM is attained when the point X is on the line segment AM. In that case, AX + XM = AM. If X is not on the line AM, AX + MX > AM.

What is a square root proof?

A square root proof is a mathematical process used to show that a number is the square root of another number. It involves finding the square of the number and demonstrating that it is equal to the original number.

How do you prove that a number is the square root of another number?

To prove that a number is the square root of another number, you must show that when the first number is multiplied by itself, it equals the second number. This can be done through various methods such as using algebraic equations or geometric proofs.

Can every number have a square root?

Yes, every positive number has a square root. However, not all numbers have a rational square root (a square root that can be expressed as a fraction). Some numbers, such as √2, have an irrational square root, which is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal.

What is the difference between a perfect square and a square root?

A perfect square is a number that is the result of multiplying an integer by itself, such as 9 (3x3=9). A square root, on the other hand, is the inverse operation of finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, results in a given number. In the case of 9, the square root is 3.

How can square root proofs be applied in real life?

Square root proofs are often used in fields such as engineering and physics to solve problems involving measurements and dimensions. They can also be used in financial calculations, such as calculating interest rates and loan payments. Additionally, understanding square roots and their proofs can help build critical thinking and problem-solving skills.