Square Root of 4: Can it be +2 or -2?

And, yes, \sqrt{4}= 2, not -2. As for the "extraneous solution", that is not because we have squared both sides. It is because we have solved an equation by "squaring both sides" that was not an "if and only if" equation. That is, if x= y then x^2= y^2 but it is NOT true that if x^2= y^2 then x= y. So when we solve x^2= y^2 by taking square roots, we must remember to include both positive and negative square roots. Yes, i^2= -1 and i^4= 1. But from
Taturana
Consider square root of 4.

Can square root of 4 be +2 or -2?

I asked that to my math teacher so he said: NO, square root of 4 is +2!

But I can't really understand why it cannot be -2 since -2 squared is also 4. One thing I've imagined is: square root of 4 can be +2 or -2, but for CONVENTION we use +2. Is that right?

There's another question related to that: consider

[tex]i^2 = -1[/tex]

squaring the two sides we obtain

[tex]i^4 = 1[/tex]

so

[tex]i = 1[/tex]

so: can the i (the imaginary number) be 1? I think I'm making a lot of confusion with that, could someone explain me that?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The square root of 4 can be +2 or -2, your math teacher is retarded. What you did with the imaginary number results in what I believe is called an extraneous solution (correct me if I'm wrong). If you substitute the 1 back into your original problem i^2=-1, you will find that 1=-1, which is not a true statement, meaning the solution is incorrect.

We get these types of questions a lot so it might be worthwhile to run a forum search on this topic to get a very thorough review of it. In fact, I might even say that this question has been discussed ad nauseum :wink:

However, for your first question the, square root of a number is often defined as the principal (or positive) root. This convention is not without reason though; if we would like to have a square root function, the square roots must necessarily be single-valued. Therefore, [itex]\sqrt{4} = 2[/itex]. For a more complicated example, let [itex]x[/itex] be a number such that [itex]x^2 = 4[/itex], then [itex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x| = 2[/itex] because [itex]\sqrt{x^2}[/itex] is necessarily positive. Since [itex]|x| = 2[/itex], this means that [itex]x = 2[/itex] or [itex]x = -2[/itex].

For your second question, squaring equations has the unfortunate effect of adding extraneous solutions. Taking your example, clearly [itex]i^4 - 1 = 0[/itex] in which case [itex](i^2 + 1)(i^2 - 1) = 0[/itex]. By the zero product property, either [itex]i^2 + 1 = 0[/itex] or [itex]i^2 - 1 = 0[/itex] (note that only one of these need hold). From the conventional definition of [itex]i[/itex] we have that [itex]i^2 + 1 = 0[/itex] and [itex]i^2 - 1 = 0[/itex] is just an extraneous solution added when we squared the equation.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Thank you for the help guys. Now things make more sense.

PS: next time i'll do a forum search...

eg2333 said:
The square root of 4 can be +2 or -2, your math teacher is retarded. What you did with the imaginary number results in what I believe is called an extraneous solution (correct me if I'm wrong). If you substitute the 1 back into your original problem i^2=-1, you will find that 1=-1, which is not a true statement, meaning the solution is incorrect.

If his teacher is retarded, what does that make you? His teacher is completely right. The equation [itex]x^2= 4[/itex] has two roots. But only one of them is [itex]\sqrt{4}[/itex] because [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] is defined as "the positive root of the equation [itex]x^2= a[/itex]".

The reason we have to write the solutions to that equation as "[itex]x= \pm\sqrt{a}[/itex] is that [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] alone does NOT mean both solutions. If it did we would not need the "[itex]\pm[/itex]".

1. What is the square root of 4?

The square root of 4 is 2. This means that when 2 is multiplied by itself, the result is 4.

2. Can the square root of 4 be a negative number?

No, the square root of 4 cannot be a negative number. This is because a negative number multiplied by itself will always result in a positive number. In other words, the square root function only returns positive values.

3. Is the square root of 4 the same as -2?

No, the square root of 4 is not the same as -2. As mentioned before, the square root function only returns positive values, so the square root of 4 is 2, not -2.

4. Why is the square root of 4 sometimes written as ±2?

The ± symbol indicates that there are two possible solutions for the square root of 4, which are +2 and -2. This is because when squared, both positive and negative numbers will result in 4. However, when referring to the square root of 4, we typically use the positive value, which is 2.

5. Can the square root of 4 be a complex number?

No, the square root of 4 cannot be a complex number. A complex number is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, and the square root of 4 is a real number. Complex numbers are typically denoted with the letter "i", so the square root of 4 would be written as 2i if it were a complex number.