Question about this Lesson on Square Roots

You can also find links to this and other tutorials in our Information subreddit, which is always one click away from any page you're on.In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of ##\sqrt{27}## and ##3\sqrt{3}##. It is important to square all terms when trying to find the square of a square root.
Simon Peach
In a lesson on square roots this came up (Root) 27 simplifies too 3(root)3 ok. when I work that out it's
= 5.196... or if I say 3squard (root)3 this works out to 15.588.... What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Simon Peach said:
if I say 3squard (root)3
Why would you say that? It (##3^2\sqrt 3##) has nothing to do with ##\sqrt {27}=3\sqrt 3=5.196...##.

Likes DaveE and Nugatory
##3^2\sqrt 3= \sqrt{9^2 \cdot 3} = \sqrt{243}##
##3\sqrt3 = \sqrt{9 \cdot 3} = \sqrt{27}##
It should be obvious that we're talking about different numbers.

Simon Peach said:
if I say 3squard (root)3
If you're trying to square ##3 \sqrt{3}## to see if it comes out to 27, you need to square everything: you get ##3^2 \times 3 = 9 \times 3 = 27##.

Likes Lnewqban
Simon Peach said:
In a lesson on square roots this came up (Root) 27 simplifies too 3(root)3 ok. when I work that out it's
= 5.196... or if I say 3squard (root)3 this works out to 15.588.... What am I missing?
@Simon Peach, you're a little older than I am, but not by very much. Here's a quick lesson on some of the features of LaTeX that are supported on this site:

Your notation.........Rendered LaTeX...............Raw LaTeX
(Root) 27 .........................##\sqrt{27}##..............................##\sqrt{27}##
3(root)3 ...........................##3\sqrt 3##..............................##3\sqrt 3##
3squard (root)3..............##3^2\sqrt 3##...........................##3^2\sqrt 3##

The link in the lower left corner of the input pane goes to our LaTeX tutorial.

What are square roots?

Square roots are a mathematical operation that gives the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25.

How do you find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number, you can use a calculator or use long division. You can also use the "guess and check" method by trying different numbers until you find one that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number.

What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that has an integer as its square root. For example, 25 is a perfect square because its square root is 5, which is an integer.

What is the difference between a square root and an exponent?

A square root is the opposite of squaring a number, while an exponent is a number that indicates how many times a number is multiplied by itself. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, while 5 squared (5 x 5) is also 25.

Why are square roots important?

Square roots are important in many fields of science and mathematics, such as geometry, algebra, and physics. They are used to solve equations, calculate areas and volumes, and understand the relationship between numbers and their square roots.