Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square symbols that are on web pages

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

Sometimes, there are symbols that are on web pages, that my computer just reads a square-> ⌂

Is there a way to make my computer stop doing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh yomomma, you and your mindless threads. :P

4. Aug 26, 2005 #3
    pfft

stop going to websites which have special characters that you dont have on your computer

a square is simply an invalid character

EDIT: tis true, you make quite a lot of pointless threads :bugeye:

5. Aug 27, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I imagine that it's not your 'computer' but your browser that isn't displaying the characters. What kind of browser do you use? If you use IE, the symbols may be in Unicode. Google Unicode and Internet Explorer to see how you can enable IE to display Unicode characters.

If that's not the problem, post a website and name some characters on it that won't display, and I'll check the source code.

6. Aug 27, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

hmm. I ise IE and firefox on and off. actually, I've never noticed it on firefox.

7. Aug 27, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I suspect it's Unicode then. Firefox displays Unicode by default, or at least mine does. Just google to see ways to reset IE. OR... just don't use IE!!!11 Your choice. :biggrin:
    You'll be changing fonts or encoding schemes or somesuch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?