Square symbols that are on web pages

In summary, the conversation is discussing the issue of symbols that appear as squares on web pages and how to fix it. The suggestion is to either stop visiting websites with special characters or enable Unicode in the browser. It is also mentioned that Firefox displays Unicode by default. Finally, the conversation ends with a suggestion to change fonts or encoding schemes.
JamesU
Gold Member
Sometimes, there are symbols that are on web pages, that my computer just reads a square-> ⌂

Is there a way to make my computer stop doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yomomma, you and your mindless threads. :P

pfft

stop going to websites which have special characters that you don't have on your computer

a square is simply an invalid character

EDIT: tis true, you make quite a lot of pointless threads :bugeye:

I imagine that it's not your 'computer' but your browser that isn't displaying the characters. What kind of browser do you use? If you use IE, the symbols may be in Unicode. Google Unicode and Internet Explorer to see how you can enable IE to display Unicode characters.

If that's not the problem, post a website and name some characters on it that won't display, and I'll check the source code.

hmm. I ise IE and firefox on and off. actually, I've never noticed it on firefox.

yomamma said:
hmm. I ise IE and firefox on and off. actually, I've never noticed it on firefox.
I suspect it's Unicode then. Firefox displays Unicode by default, or at least mine does. Just google to see ways to reset IE. OR... just don't use IE!11 Your choice. :biggrin:
You'll be changing fonts or encoding schemes or somesuch.

1. What are square symbols on web pages?

Square symbols on web pages are characters or icons that appear in the shape of a square. These symbols can be used as placeholders for images, or they can represent a special character that may not be available on the keyboard.

2. Why are there square symbols on some web pages?

Square symbols may appear on web pages for a few reasons. One common reason is that the font being used does not have the character or symbol available, so a square is used as a placeholder. Another reason may be that the web page is using a different character encoding than the one used by the browser, resulting in a square being displayed instead of the correct character.

3. How can I get rid of square symbols on a web page?

To get rid of square symbols on a web page, you can try changing the font settings in your browser. If that doesn't work, you can try changing the character encoding settings. If these options do not work, it may be a problem with the website itself and you may need to contact the webmaster for assistance.

4. Can I use square symbols on my own website?

Yes, you can use square symbols on your own website. There are many different ways to add square symbols, such as using HTML entities or Unicode characters. However, it is important to make sure that the symbols are displayed correctly in different browsers and devices.

5. Are square symbols on web pages always the same?

No, square symbols on web pages can vary depending on the font being used and the character encoding settings. In addition, some square symbols may look similar but have different meanings or uses, so it is important to carefully check the context in which they are used.