1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Wave Generator

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    Greetings,

Sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm looking for a high frequency (>500 MHz) 2 channels square wave generator.
    Do you know any material (not too expensive if possible) that would match these specifications?

Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you be a bit more specific?
    Do you mean a generator with a 500 MHz analog bandwidth OR a generator that can produce a 50-50 square wave with a 1/500e6 s period?
    In either case it sounds like you are asking about something called a pulse pattern generator. You can buy them from e.g. Agilent or Anritsu.
    The price will probably be somewhere in the range $10 000-$30 000.

4. May 23, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

500MHz 50 Ohm signal generators are available, but I don't know about the square wave part. What are you intending to use it for? 500MHz square waves exist on high-speed digital integrated circuits, but are not generally driven off-chip.

5. May 23, 2008 #4
    i was going to suggest DDS but doubt there's any chip out there to work with

6. May 23, 2008 #5
    f95toli is right, a real 2 channel square wave generator capable of 500Mhz is going to be pretty expensive.

But I'm guessing that you're interested in making something?

DDS - (Direct Digital Synthesis) chips are interesting. Analog Devices makes some but I'm not sure if you can get 500Mhz output from these.

Look up "astable multi-vibrator" circuits. Depends on your purpose, of course, but a simple circuit might be good enough.

7. May 26, 2008 #6
    I don't know if this would satisfy your needs, but couldn't you take a 500mHz sine wave and put two diodes in anti-parallel across the output, amplify the voltage if necessary, then use zener diodes to help eliminate the non-horizontal parts of the wave?

The problem comes if you need to alter the duty cycle of one part of the wave.

8. May 26, 2008 #7
  9. May 27, 2008 #8
    Many thanks for all your answers, I'll see what I can find in commercial pulse generators... I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make such a device on my own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?