Optimized Create 1kHz Square Wave Oscillator in Multisim

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a square wave oscillator using an op-amp in Multisim with a frequency of 1 kHz and duty cycle of 60%. The individual shares their attempt at a solution and receives feedback on their circuit design, eventually successfully creating the square wave oscillator.
luxi2

Homework Statement

The assignment is to create a square wave oscillator using an op-amp in Multisim. The wave's frequency should be 1 kHz and the duty cycle 60%.

Homework Equations

f = 1 / (R*C)
R1 < R
R1 < Rf

I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've done:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8494/sqwavegenaj6.png

(It's such a basic textbook example.) I don't know why the wave form looks like that. The problem is those unnecessary "bumps" that should be flat:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4951/osczh4.png

Am I doing something wrong (very probable) or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
just had a look, you may want to think about where you are placing the Cap in your circuit, what purpose does in play on the output from the signal Gen. Also, Placing a 10 Volt signal injection into a 5v Op amp will drive the output to Saturation? think about what is the appropiate signal input.

So the input signal should be 5V? And I even tried removing the capacitor, but it didn't seem to have any effect in the output signal.

I would really appreciate it if someone could even show me the right direction to go from here.

Well at the moment, The cap where it is now, looks like its acting as a DC filter, Redesign the circuit so the cap works as a reservoir so it store an amount of charge to effect the output, this hopefully will give you your 40:60 Duty cycle. It does work, although its very limited on how far you can push the duty cycle limits. I used a version of crocclips to simulate the circuit.

I just don't get it. Every website that tells about square wave generators have these kind of pictures:
square.gif

Where's the input signal? I even tried this but:
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/4063/oscqp1.png

Attachments

• square.gif
    square.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited by a moderator:
well its almost there, Have a look at the Op Amp inputs, the polarity is different on your design, and the input is in the wrong place. Try in parallel with the cap.

I finally got it! I removed the AC power source since this is an oscillator, not a square wave inverter. I changed the DC voltage to 15 V and added a -15 V source to the pin 4. Works perfectly. Thanks.

cool. good to hear.

1. What is a square wave oscillator?

A square wave oscillator is an electronic circuit that generates a square wave signal, which is a type of periodic waveform with a constant amplitude and alternating between two discrete voltage levels.

2. Why is it important to optimize the square wave oscillator?

Optimizing the square wave oscillator is important because it ensures that the output signal has a precise frequency of 1kHz, which is useful in many applications such as in digital systems and communication circuits.

3. How can I create a 1kHz square wave oscillator in Multisim?

To create a 1kHz square wave oscillator in Multisim, you can use a 555 timer IC and a few other passive components such as resistors and capacitors. By adjusting the values of these components, you can optimize the circuit to generate a 1kHz square wave signal.

4. What are the advantages of using Multisim for optimizing a square wave oscillator?

Multisim is a powerful simulation software that allows you to design, simulate, and optimize electronic circuits. It provides a user-friendly interface and accurate simulation results, making it a convenient tool for optimizing a square wave oscillator without the need for physical components.

5. How can I verify the optimization of my square wave oscillator in Multisim?

You can verify the optimization of your square wave oscillator in Multisim by analyzing the simulation results. The output signal should have a precise frequency of 1kHz, with minimal distortion and stable amplitude. You can also compare the simulation results with the theoretical calculations to ensure the accuracy of the optimization process.