1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square well potential

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle in a square well potential:

$$V(x) = \begin{cases} 0, & |x| \leq a \\ V_0, & |x| \geq a \end{cases} $$

We are interested in the bound states i.e. when ##E \leq V_0##.

(1) Show that the even solutions have energies that satisfy the transcendental equation $$k \tan ka = \kappa$$ while the odd ones will have energies that satisfy $$k \cot ka = -\kappa$$ where ##k## and ##i\kappa## are real and complex wave numbers inside and outside the well respectively. Note that ##k## and ##\kappa## are related by $$k^2 + \kappa^2 = 2mV_0/\hbar^2$$

(2) In the (##\alpha = ka, \beta = \kappa a ##) plane, imagine a circle that obeys the above. The bound states are then given by the intersection of the curve ##\alpha = \tan \alpha = \beta ## or ## \alpha \cot \alpha = -\beta ## with the circle.

(3) Show that there is always one even solution and that there is no odd solution unless ## V_0 \geq \hbar^2 \pi^2 /8ma^2. ## What is ##E## when ##V_0## just meets this requirement?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to solve part (1) by applying the boundary conditions on ##e^{-\kappa|x|}## for ##|x| \geq a## and ##e^{ikx} + e^{-ikx}## and ##e^{ikx} - e^{-ikx}##.

I 'sort' of understand why the solutions wouldn't always exist for part (3) after plotting the curve ##\alpha \cot \alpha## as it is only positive, and we are looking for solutions that are negative. I'm not quite sure how to find the minimum value of ##V_0##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2
    The relevant equation (TISE) should be shown.

The ground state is the even solution.

The first odd solution is the 1st excited state, which requires a minimum depth to the well.

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    I assumed I should use the relations which came about from the TISE?

I realised I plotted the incorrect graphs. If the root of ##\alpha \cot \alpha## is at ##\pi/2##, then that is the minimum value of the radius. Thus for ##k## and ##\kappa## it is ##\pi/2a##, which means that ##2mV_0/\hbar^2 = \pi^2/4a^2##.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted