1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Wire Magnetic field

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Can anyone help me with this problem?

In Figure P22.31, the current in the long, straight wire is I1 = 8.00 A and the wire lies in the plane of the rectangular loop, which carries 10.0 A. The dimensions are c = 0.100 m, a = 0.150 m, and = 0.350 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the net force exerted on the loop by the magnetic field created by the wire.

[​IMG]

I've tried using all the standard magnetic field and current equations but none of them worked. I know there must be some deviation from the normal that I'm missing. Can someone help me out here, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    Also, I know that the direction of the magnetic field is to the left of the page.

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    Help please?

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
    I have to be honest this one has me slightly stumped. I looked up a similar problem in the notes that I have from when I last studied electromagnetics where there was a similar problem but with the straight conductor carrying a time varying current and I had to calculate the induced emf in the loop, which was done by integrating over the rectangle to find find the total flux and then so on to get emf.

Also have you tried using the forumlae for the force between two charge carrying cables only make it a three cable system
    the force between the rectangle uprights, in my view, could be neglected if you assume the rectangle is rigid and then just work out the forces direction with the contributions in different directions thanks to the currents in the verticals - The horizontals won't effect the force - or am I getting confused with gaussian surfaces for electric fields there...it's been a while I hope there is something that helps there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?