Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving the expression for \mathbf{A}^2 from the given equation for \mathbf{A}. It involved using vector calculus identities for quantum mechanical operators, such as the commutation relation between the angular momentum and momentum operators and the dot product of \mathbf{p} and \left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right). Ultimately, the solution was found by correcting a missing i in one of the commutation relations and recognizing that certain terms in the expression would cancel out due to these identities.
MisterX

Homework Statement

[itex]\mathbf{A} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\hbar\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{p} \right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(\mathbf{p} \times \hbar\mathbf{L} \right) + Ze^2m \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r} [/itex]

Derive
[itex]\mathbf{A}^2 = \left(\mathbf{p}^2 - 2m\frac{Ze^2}{r} \right)\left(\hbar^2 \mathbf{L^2} + \hbar^2 \right) + m^2Z^2e^4 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\left(\mathbf{X} \times \mathbf{Y} \right)_i = \epsilon_{ijk}X_jY_k[/itex]
[itex]\left[L_i, p_j \right] = \epsilon_{ijk}p_k[/itex]
[itex]\sum_i \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{i\ell m} = \delta_{j\ell } \delta_{km} -\delta_{jm} \delta_{k\ell }[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that
[itex]-\left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right)_i = \left(\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{p} \right)_i^\dagger = \left(\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{p} \right)_i - 2p_i [/itex]

So another way to write A

[itex]\mathbf{A} =-\hbar\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} +\hbar \mathbf{p} + Ze^2m \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r} [/itex]

My attempt ( [itex]\left\{\;,\;\right\}[/itex] indicates anti-commuator with dot product)

[itex]\mathbf{A} ^2 = \left(-\hbar\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} + \hbar\mathbf{p} + Ze^2m \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)\left(-\hbar\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} + \hbar\mathbf{p} + Ze^2m \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)[/itex]
[tex]=\hbar^2\left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}\right)^2 + \hbar^2\mathbf{p}^2 -\hbar^2\left\{\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}, \mathbf{p}\right\} - \hbar Ze^2m\left\{\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}, \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right\} + \hbar Ze^2m\left\{ \mathbf{p}, \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right\} + m^2Z^2e^4[/tex]
Now I get that
\begin{align*}\left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}\right)^2 &= \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{i\ell m}p_jL_kp_\ell L_m = \left(\delta_{j\ell} \delta_{km} -\delta_{jm} \delta_{k\ell} \right)p_jL_kp_\ell L_m \\
&= p_jL_kp_j L_k - p_jL_kp_k L_j\end{align*}
using
[itex]\left[L_k, p_j\right] = \epsilon_{kj\ell}p_\ell =\epsilon_{j\ell k}p_\ell [/itex]

\begin{align*}\left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}\right)^2 &= p_j(p_jL_k + \epsilon_{j\ell k}p_\ell)L_k - p_jp_kL_k L_j\\ &= \mathbf{p}^2 \mathbf{L}^2 + \mathbf{p} \cdot \left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right) - p_jp_kL_k L_j\end{align*}

So if I do it this way, at least I get the [itex] \mathbf{p}^2 \mathbf{L}^2 [/itex] term without too much effort. And I see the second term is going to cancel with part of the anti-commutator [itex]\left\{\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L}, \mathbf{p}\right\}[/itex]. But I am not sure what to do with the third term, or how the other half of that anti-commutator would go away. I am not sure if this is the right approach and perhaps I have made a mistake. I'd appreciate any help with this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MisterX!

You missed an [itex]i[/itex] in one of your commutation relations:

[itex]\left[L_i, p_j \right] = i\epsilon_{ijk}p_k[/itex]

Then things should work out ok. Also note that

[itex]\mathbf{p} \cdot \left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right) = 0[/itex]

and

[itex] - p_jp_kL_k L_j = 0.[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks, however I already found out those things (and solved this problem after a significant amount of work).

Perhaps somewhere we should have a catalog of vector calculus identities for vectors of quantum mechanical operators.[itex]\mathbf{p} \cdot \left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right) = 0[/itex]
and
[itex]\left(\mathbf{p} \times \mathbf{L} \right) \cdot \mathbf{p} =i2\mathbf{p}^2[/itex]

1. What is a Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector?

The Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector is a mathematical vector that describes the motion of a particle in a central potential. It is a conserved quantity in quantum mechanics and is related to the angular momentum and energy of the particle.

2. How is the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector different from the classical Runge Lenz Vector?

The classical Runge Lenz Vector only applies to classical mechanics, while the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector is a concept in quantum mechanics. They are both related to the conservation laws of angular momentum and energy, but the quantum version takes into account the uncertainty principle.

3. What is the significance of the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector?

The Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of a particle in a central potential, such as the Hydrogen atom. It helps to explain the stability of electron orbits and the quantization of energy levels.

4. How is the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector used in quantum mechanics?

The Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector is used to solve the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a central potential. It can also be used to derive the energy spectrum of an atom and to calculate transition probabilities between energy levels.

5. Can the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector be observed experimentally?

No, the Squared Quantum Runge Lenz Vector is a mathematical concept and cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be observed in the behavior of particles in a central potential, such as the quantization of energy levels in atoms.