Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Squared trigonometrics

1. May 10, 2007 #1

disregardthat

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I wonder how to solve, and how to get the correct answer\answers to these types of problems:

[tex]2 \sin^2{x} - 4 \cos^2{x} = 0[/tex] [tex] x \in [0°,360°] [/tex]

There are many answers to this. I would really like to know how the correct way to get all of them.

2. Relevant equations

I do not know any relevant equations for this.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tryed to divide them with [tex]\cos^2(x)[/tex] to get [tex] \tan^2(x)[/tex] But it has not worked.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, firstly can you reduce the expression to contain only one of sinx or cosx by using the relationship sin2x+cos2x=1?

4. May 10, 2007 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

No, I do not know how to do it! :\

5. May 10, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Then you need to learn algebra! Since sin2x+ cos2x= 1, cos2x= 1- sin2x. Now replace cos2x in your equation by 1- sin2 x.

6. May 10, 2007 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Oh, I misunderstood. Of course...

I found this equation:

[tex]\cos^2(x) = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] But how do get all the answers? There are four.

If i square root bot sides, I will get two answers, (which are correct) but not all of them... How is the right way?

7. May 10, 2007 #6

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I just found out, I took the square root, and the answer must also be negative...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook