1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squaring a bra

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    Which of the following is true?

[tex]<\phi|^2 = <\phi|\phi>[/tex]
    [tex]<\phi|^2 = |\phi><\phi|[/tex]

Or does the order even matter?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    I'm not entirely sure you can "square a bra" like that. But the order certainly matters.
  4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    Well I guess I should have said how do you multiply a bra by its complex conjugate, can you stick in the front or the back?
  5. Sep 28, 2007 #4
    If you want a scalar, use option one. If you want an operator, use option two. Neither are called "squaring" -- and they're completely different things.
  6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    <phi|^2 = <phi|<phi| (pretty much meaningless)
    <phi|phi> = 1 (or some other constant)
    |phi><phi| = P_phi (an operator)
  7. Sep 29, 2007 #6

I don't think the tensor product is meaningless. One can build multi-particle states from it.
  8. Sep 29, 2007 #7
    Ok well more specifically, my problem is turning this:

[tex](E_n - E_{n'}) <\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n> = \frac{i\hbar}{m} <\phi_{n'}|P|\phi_n>[/tex]

into this:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n'}^{} (E_n - E_{n'})^2 |<\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n>|^2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{m^2} <\phi_n|P^2|\phi_n>[/tex]

using the closure relation. So basically everything is getting squared, but I don't know how to handle the part with the P and it's respective bra and ket. And what is confusing me as well are the two [tex]\phi_n[/tex]'s intead of a [tex]\phi_{n'}[/tex] in there.
  9. Sep 29, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is X and P the position and momentum operator?

What have you tried so far?
  10. Sep 29, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep the following in mind, and give it a shot:

[tex] \langle \phi _1 | A | \phi _2 \rangle ^* = \langle \phi _2 | A^{\dagger} | \phi _1 \rangle [/tex]

If [itex] \{ \phi _i \} [/itex] is a complete basis, then [itex] \sum _i |\phi _i \rangle \langle \phi _i |= \mathbf{1} [/itex]

You want to multiply every complex number in the upper expression by its complex conjugate and then sum over n'.

PS: Before doing this, you might want to review the math a little bit. It seems you are unfamiliar with some of the basics of the algebra of a linear vector space.

For instance:

A bra is not a complex number (scalar) and hence, can not have a complex conjugate. It does, however, exhibit a dual correspondence to a ket living in a ket space that is dual to the bra space that your bra comes from.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?