Discovering Valid Solutions for Max/Min Values of a Trigonometric Function

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, it is a "neat trick" but it is necessary because A and B are not of the form sin(y) and cos(y). In this particular case, it is easier to simply divide by \sqrt{3} and get sin(x)/\sqrt{3}+ cos(x)/\sqrt{3} which can be written as sin(x+ \pi/6).In summary, the problem asks for the maximum value of the function y=\sqrt{3}cosx+sinx. After using the derivative and solving for x, it is found that the maximum value occurs at x=\pi/6 or 7\pi/6. However, squaring both sides of the
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Note: This problem is no longer a homework question.

Homework Statement

I'm asked to find the max value of [itex]\sqrt{3}cosx+sinx[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]y=sinx,y'=cosx[/itex]
[itex]y=cosx, y'=-sinx[/itex]
[itex]cos^2x=1-sin^2x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I let [itex]y=\sqrt{3}cosx+sinx[/itex]

Hence, [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\sqrt{3}sinx+cosx=0[/tex]

Attempting to solve this for x: [tex]\sqrt{3}sinx=cosx \Rightarrow 3sin^2x=1-sin^2x[/tex]

Finally, [tex]sinx=\pm\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow x=\pi n\pm \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex] , n integral

I tested these values on a graphing calculator for [itex]0\leq x\leq 2\pi[/itex] because I didn't believe that there should be 4 max/min values, but only 2-3. I found that [itex]\pi/6[/itex] and [itex]7\pi/6[/itex] were max/min values but [itex]5\pi/6[/itex] and [itex]11\pi/6[/itex] were rather just random points on the function and its derivative.

So I'm guessing that I found extra wrong values when I squared both sides of the derivative? Is it possible to square the equation, but quickly find which values in the results aren't valid and need to be scrapped? After solving the equation this way, I realized that the values that are valid are located in the first and third quadrants which are both positive for the tangent function and thus I could've divided the derivative through by [itex]cosx[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't answer your question, but I find it to be another nice way of solving the problem.

Notice that [tex]\sqrt{3}^2+1^2=2^2[/tex].

So If you divide both sides of the equation by 2, you get:

[tex]\frac{y}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\cos(x)+\frac{1}{2}\sin(x)=\sin(\pi/3)\cos(x)+\cos(\pi/3)\sin(x)=\sin(x+\pi/3).[/tex]

So [tex]y=2\sin(x+\pi/3)[/tex], whose maximum value is 2.

It can be shown similarly that if [tex]y=A\cos(x)+B\sin(y)[/tex], then the maximum is just [tex]\sqrt{A^2+B^2}.[/tex]

When you square both sides of an equation, as you do here, you may introduce new solution that do not satisfy your original equation. For an obvious example, x= 2 has the single solution 2 but x2= 4 has both 2 and -2 as solutions.

The simplest way to distinguish "extraneous solutions" is to try them in the original equations.

But I don't see any reason to square both sides: there is no square root of the unknown and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is just a number. From [itex]-\sqrt{3}sin(x)+ cos(x)= 0[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{3}sin(x)= cos(x)[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
which leads to [itex]\pi/6[/itex], as a "fundamental solution" and, since tan(x) is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]x= \pi/6+ n\pi[/itex] as general solution, no "-".

alligatorman said:
This doesn't answer your question, but I find it to be another nice way of solving the problem.

Notice that [tex]\sqrt{3}^2+1^2=2^2[/tex].

So If you divide both sides of the equation by 2, you get:

[tex]\frac{y}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\cos(x)+\frac{1}{2}\sin(x)=\sin(\pi/3)\cos(x)+\cos(\pi/3)\sin(x)=\sin(x+\pi/3).[/tex]

So [tex]y=2\sin(x+\pi/3)[/tex], whose maximum value is 2.

It can be shown similarly that if [tex]y=A\cos(x)+B\sin(y)[/tex], then the maximum is just [tex]\sqrt{A^2+B^2}.[/tex]

I cannot figure out what the significance of [itex]\sqrt{3}^2+1^2=2^2[/itex]

Also, I already deduced before posting that [itex]\sqrt{3}cosx+sinx=2cos(x-\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] but you have showed me another way of finding that. thanks :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
When you square both sides of an equation, as you do here, you may introduce new solution that do not satisfy your original equation. For an obvious example, x= 2 has the single solution 2 but x2= 4 has both 2 and -2 as solutions.

The simplest way to distinguish "extraneous solutions" is to try them in the original equations.

But I don't see any reason to square both sides: there is no square root of the unknown and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is just a number. From [itex]-\sqrt{3}sin(x)+ cos(x)= 0[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{3}sin(x)= cos(x)[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
which leads to [itex]\pi/6[/itex] as a "fundamental solution" and, since tan(x) is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]x= \pi/6+ n\pi[/itex] as general solution, no "-".

I'll test in the original function in future then. I didn't realize this, thanks! It's way simpler to solve this way.

Furthermore, knowing where the critical points lie, we may use the second derivative to find out which of those x's are maxima:
[tex]f''(x)=-\sqrt{3}\cos(x)-\sin(x)=-\cos(x)(\sqrt{3}+\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)})[/tex]
At the critical points, we get here the value:
[tex]-\cos(x)(\sqrt{3}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})[/tex], which shows that the maxima will occur for critical x's lying in the first quadrant, never in the fourth.

Mentallic said:

Also, I already deduced before posting that [itex]\sqrt{3}cosx+sinx=2cos(x-\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] but you have showed me another way of finding that. thanks :smile:

You want to divide both sides of the equation by some C such that [tex]\sin(\alpha)=\sqrt{3}/C[/tex] and [tex]\cos(\alpha)=1/C.[/tex] (So that we can use the trig summation identity)

Then it must be true that [tex](\sqrt{3}/C)^2+(1/C)^2=1[/tex]. It follows that [tex]C^2=3+1.[/tex]

So in general, for [tex]y=A\cos(x)+B\sin(y)[/tex], you want to divide by [tex]\sqrt{A^2+B^2}[/tex]. Then you can write [tex]y=\sqrt{A^2+B^2} \cdot \sin(\alpha+x).[/tex]

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just wanted to share a neat trick that could come in handy in other places. :tongue2:

Mentallic said:

The signicance is that its positive square root, 2, is the answer to your original question!
Your problem did not ask for the value of x that gives that.

Alligatorman's point is that, sin(x+ y)= cos(x)sin(y)+ sin(x)cos(y) so if you have something of the form Acos(x)+ Bsin(x), you can look for a "y" such that sin(y)= A, cos(y)= B. Of course, because [itex]sin^2(y)+ cos^2(y)= 1[/itex], that is only possible if [itex]A^2+ B^2= 1[/itex]. If not, as in this case where [itex]A= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and B= 1, we must multiply and divide by [itex]\sqrt{A^2+ B^2}[/itex]. Here, of course, [itex]A^2+ B^2= 3+1= 4[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{A^2+ B^2}= 2[/itex]. If we multiply and divide by 2, we have
[tex]2\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}cos(x)+ \frac{1}{2}sin(x)\right)[/tex].
There does exist y such that [itex]sin(x)= \sqrt{y}/2[/itex] and [itex]cos(y)= 1/2[/itex]. It easy to see that [itex]y= \pi/6[/itex] satisfies that but we don't need to: this is of the form 2 sin(x+y) which we know has a maximum value of 2 because sine itself has a maximum value of 1.

Ahh thanks for all your help everyone!
Alligatorman, I appreciate your attempts but without Hallsofivy's response I still wouldn't have understood it clearly. But don't worry, that's just due to my feable abilities to understand simple math :smile:

What is the process for solving squaring equations?

The process for solving squaring equations involves isolating the squared variable on one side of the equation and taking the square root of both sides. This will result in two possible solutions, one positive and one negative. It is important to check both solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they are valid.

Why do we need to take the square root when solving squaring equations?

We take the square root in order to isolate the squared variable and find its value. The square root is the inverse operation of squaring, so by taking the square root of both sides of the equation, we can "undo" the square and find the value of the variable.

What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers, such as 25 = 5 x 5. Non-perfect squares cannot be expressed in this way, for example 26 cannot be written as the product of two equal integers.

How can I check if my solution to a squaring equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. Additionally, if you are solving a word problem, you can also check if your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

What should I do if I get a negative solution when solving a squaring equation?

If you get a negative solution, it is important to check if it is a valid solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If it is not a valid solution, then there is no solution to the equation. However, if it is a valid solution, it just means that there are two solutions to the equation, one positive and one negative. This is because when we take the square root, we get both the positive and negative value of the square root.