Explaining Squaring Numbers & Light to a 5-Year-Old

In summary: The light from these objects has a longer wavelength than the light from objects that are closer to us.
Skincognito
First, I would like to say any response needs to be explained like I’m 5 years old. A degree in psychology didn’t require advanced math :) That said, here is my question: If any quantifiable number can be squared, does this mean light can also be squared. I read the forum about light being a constant but there was no definitive answer and a lot of mixed opinions.

Science news on Phys.org
Light isn't a number. Do you mean the speed of light? If so, yes - as in E = mc2

Likes Skincognito
Skincognito said:
If any quantifiable number can be squared, does this mean light can also be squared
Not sure what you mean by "can light be squared". Perhaps you mean the speed of light, which is a constant. Can a speed be squared? Sure. Squared speeds, even the speed of light squared, appear in many useful formulas.

Likes Skincognito
Doc Al said:
Not sure what you mean by "can light be squared". Perhaps you mean the speed of light, which is a constant. Can a speed be squared? Sure. Squared speeds, even the speed of light squared, appear in many useful formulas.
It’s probab a crazy question but I was referring more to visible light spectrum and different wavelengths. To be honest I’m not even sure how to properly articulate the question so it may not even be something that can be answered but I am trying to gain an understanding of how the light spectrum differs in regard to speed vs distance. I would assume you can also square distance as well?

Skincognito said:
how the light spectrum differs in regard to speed vs distance
The various colors of the spectrum have different wavelengths and frequencies, but the same speed (at least in a vacuum).

Skincognito said:
I would assume you can also square distance as well?
Sure, why not.

Likes Skincognito
Doc Al said:
The various colors of the spectrum have different wavelengths and frequencies, but the same speed (at least in a vacuum).Sure, why not.
Thank you! I think this answers :)

Skincognito said:
I read the forum about light being a constant but there was no definitive answer

When you square a speed you don't get another speed. Thus, if ##c## is the speed of light, then it makes no sense to say that ##c^2## is a faster speed.

Likes sophiecentaur, davenn and Skincognito
Skincognito said:
I would assume you can also square distance as well?
Yes, that's how we measure areas. A square plot of land 100 meters on a side has an area of (100 meters) squared, or 10000 square meters (also called one hectare).

Skincognito said:
I was referring more to visible light spectrum and different wavelengths.
Light isn’t a number. So light cannot be squared. The wavelength of light, the speed of light, the frequency of light, the intensity of light, the energy of light, etc are all numbers (with corresponding units). They can all be squared.

Likes sophiecentaur, Hypercube and gmax137
Dale said:
Light isn’t a number. So light cannot be squared. The wavelength of light, the speed of light, the frequency of light, the intensity of light, the energy of light, etc are all numbers (with corresponding units). They can all be squared.
Quantities are often 'squared' (also cubed and taken to various other powers) in mathematical formulae. However, within mathematical processes (jiggery pokery), the actual meaning of the intermediate symbols is not worth trying to suss out. What you put in and what you get out is (should be) valid and the input and outputs should match dimensionally but you can let Maths do the internal work and accept that the Mathematicians got it right. Scientists and Engineers tend to treat many mathematical procedures they use as black boxes. Life's too short unless you really want to get into the Maths - then there's no time left for the Science.

Likes TachyonLord, sysprog and Dale
Skincognito said:
It’s probab a crazy question but I was referring more to visible light spectrum and different wavelengths. To be honest I’m not even sure how to properly articulate the question so it may not even be something that can be answered but I am trying to gain an understanding of how the light spectrum differs in regard to speed vs distance. I would assume you can also square distance as well?
There is no such thing as a crazy (or dumb) question. In physics there are often "crazy" (difficult to understand) answers. I agree with the answers so far. Since you asked about spectrum in regard to speed vs distance, I will tell you that light color (spectrum) shifts toward the red as objects giving off light that are far away in the universe travel away from us at speeds approaching the speed of light.

1. What does it mean to square a number?

Squaring a number means multiplying it by itself. For example, if we square the number 3, we get 3 x 3 = 9. This is also called finding the area of a square with side length 3.

2. How do you explain light to a 5-year-old?

Light is a type of energy that helps us see things. It comes from the sun and other sources like light bulbs. It travels in straight lines and can bounce off of objects. When light enters our eyes, it sends a message to our brain, allowing us to see the world around us.

3. Why is it important to learn about squaring numbers and light?

Learning about squaring numbers helps us understand how to solve more complex math problems and can also be useful in real-life situations, like measuring the area of a room. Understanding light helps us appreciate the world around us and how we see things. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific discoveries and technologies.

4. Can you give an example of squaring a number?

Sure! Let's say we want to square the number 5. We would do 5 x 5 = 25. This means that the area of a square with side length 5 is 25 square units.

5. How does light help us see different colors?

Light is made up of different colors, like a rainbow. When light hits an object, some colors get absorbed and some get reflected. The colors that get reflected are what we see. For example, if an object reflects only red light, we see it as red. Our eyes and brain work together to interpret these different colors and help us see the world in all its beautiful colors!