Solving the Compton Wavelength: Help from Andrew

• Thread starter mess1n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the total energy of an electron after a collision, which is E2 = m2c4 + p2c2. This formula is derived from the general equations for relativistic energy and momentum, and is a special case where the electron is initially at rest. The conversation also mentions that it is simpler and faster to calculate E2-(cp)2 and divide by the denominator to find the total energy.
mess1n
Hey, I'm stuck on part of the calculation for the compton wavelength. Basically, my notes go:

Energy of Electron

Before collision: E0 = mec2

After collision: Ee = [tex]\sqrt{P_{e}^{2}c^{2} + m_{e}^{2}c^{4}}[/tex]

Notes:
Pe = momentum of electron after collision
Ee = energy of electron after collision
me = mass of electron

I can't see why this follows as the energy after the collision. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
mess1n said:
After collision: Ee = [tex]\sqrt{P_{e}^{2}c^{2} + m_{e}^{2}c^{4}}[/tex]
That is the formula for the total energy of the electron. The first term is the kinetic energy which is zero before the collision, and the second term is the mass-energy or rest-energy which is unchanged, i.e. the first formula is derived from the second for the special case of the electron at rest.

mess1n said:
That second equation is true for any particle and is often written like this:

[tex]
E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2
[/tex]

The 'Before collision' version is just a special case where P = 0, since the electron starts out at rest.

(Edit: DaleSpam beat me to it.)

Ah sorry maybe I should clarify my question. What I'm really wondering is where the formula for E2 comes from. If it's a general equation, where can I find a derivation or explanation of it?

Cheers,
Andrew

mess1n said:
Ah sorry maybe I should clarify my question. What I'm really wondering is where the formula for E2 comes from. If it's a general equation, where can I find a derivation or explanation of it?

Cheers,
Andrew

Any book on special relativity.

mess1n said:
where the formula for E2 comes from.

Are you acquainted with the usual formulas for relativistic energy and momentum?

[tex]E = \frac {m_0 c^2} { \sqrt {1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]p = \frac {m_0 v} { \sqrt {1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

Solve one equation for v, substitute into the other equation, and simplify.

Apparently I'm not! Thanks for the help everyone, that's cleared it up.

jtbell said:
Solve one equation for v, substitute into the other equation, and simplify.

:eek:

You must love algebra!

It's simpler and faster to calculate E2-(cp)2. Then divide out the denominator and you're done.

Yeah, since we actually know where we want to end up, that's the easiest way to do it. I've been working out too many solutions for homework problems where you don't know the answer in advance. :yuck:

What is the Compton Wavelength?

The Compton Wavelength is a fundamental physical constant that describes the size of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is named after Arthur Compton, who discovered it in 1923.

Why is the Compton Wavelength important?

The Compton Wavelength is important because it helps us understand the dual nature of matter as both particles and waves. It also plays a crucial role in scientific calculations and theories, such as the uncertainty principle and the theory of relativity.

How do you solve for the Compton Wavelength?

The Compton Wavelength can be solved using the equation λ = h/mc, where λ is the Compton Wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and c is the speed of light.

What is the role of Andrew in solving the Compton Wavelength?

Andrew is a fictional character used in many physics problems to help students understand and solve complex equations. He serves as a guide and provides step-by-step explanations for solving the Compton Wavelength.

Can the Compton Wavelength be measured?

Yes, the Compton Wavelength can be measured experimentally using advanced techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron scattering. These measurements have been crucial in confirming the accuracy of the Compton Wavelength and its role in quantum mechanics.