1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze/Sandwhich theorem

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Squeeze/Sandwich theorem to show the

[tex]limx->1 [(x-1)^{2}sin(\frac{1}{1-x})]=0[/tex]

Thats the lim as x approaches 1 for the whole square bracket

3. The attempt at a solution
    i split it up into the two seperate limits, but i'm kinda lost on how the sandwhich theorem works, my professor said something along the lines of sin1/1-x has to be between 1 and -1 because all sin are, than he change that to an x and found the limit as x approached zero and the two limits worked out, but this limit has x approaching 1 so i'm stuck.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If we let L be the form you are taking the limit of, then -(x-1)^2<=L<=+(x-1)^2, since the sin is always between -1 and +1, right? What are the outside limits?
  4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    ok i solved it, it's 0... but i kinda just put what the data should be to obtain zero, how do u find the limit as x approaces 1 for sin(1/(1-x)), how can u tell what the sin of infinity is?
  5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It oscillates between -1 and 1. It doesn't have a limit. L oscillates too, but the amplitude of the oscillations get smaller and smaller as it approaches infinity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?