1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze theorem and sequences

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to proof that the sequence (2^n +n^2)/(3^n + 5n^4) converges en calculate its limit using the sqeeuze theorem.

2. Relevant equations
    (2^n +n^2)/(3^n + 5n^4)

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Squeeze_Theorem#Sequences

Theorem 1: Let p[itex]\in[/itex]2N en x[itex]\in[/itex]R with |x|< 1. Then the limit as n goes to infinity of (n^p)(x^n)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have noticed that if I divide the top and bottom by 3^n then i can use theorem 1 to calculate the limits of the top and the bottom.. the limit at the top will go to 0 and the bottom 1 .. so the limit of the whole goes to 0. My problem is that I dont know in what way i could use the squeeze theorem to proof this.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To use the squeeze theorem, try breaking the fraction into two parts:
    [tex]\frac{2^n + n^2}{3^n + 5n^4} = \frac{2^n}{3^n + 5n^4} + \frac{n^2}{3^n + 5n^4}[/tex]
    Now try bounding each fraction on the right hand side by a simpler expression whose limit is easy to find.

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    Something like this actually came into my head when i was pondering upon the question on the balcony.. : d If this is how long things will take on the exam. I am doomed. Thanks for the tip. I think i will manage to work this out.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    Actually, I cant see any way to solve this without using theorem 1. I cant find an upper bound for the two fractions.

6. Oct 19, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll show you how to find an upper bound for the first fraction. You can do something very similar for the second one. Notice that [itex]5n^4 > 0[/itex], so [itex]3^n + 5n^4 > 3^n[/itex]. Therefore,

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n + 5n^4} < \frac{2^n}{3^n} = \left( \frac{2}{3}\right)^n [/tex]
    Also noting that the fraction is always positive, we have a lower bound of 0, so we may write
    [tex]0 < \frac{2^n}{3^n + 5n^4} < \left( \frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]
    The right-hand side goes to zero as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], so the squeeze theorem applies.

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6
    Thank you a lot, I see it now : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook