Squeeze Theorem for an arbitrary metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the squeeze theorem on the reals and whether it can be proven for an arbitrary metric on R. There is a question about whether the proof requires a specific property of the metric and if it is true for all metrics. It is concluded that the squeeze theorem holds for an arbitrary metric on R, as long as the property is satisfied.
eddo
It is relatively simple to prove the squeeze theorem on the reals, using the usual metric. My question is, can you prove the squeeze theorem on R for an arbitrary metric (on R)? Does this even hold for an arbitrary metric on R? It seems to me that part way through the proof, you would need to show that x<=y<=z implies both that d(x,y)<=d(x,z) and d(y,z)<=d(x,z), where d is the metric. I'm not sure wether or not this is true for an arbitrary metric because I've had little experience with metrics on R other than the usual one. Is there a way to prove this/ is it even true? Thanks for any help/insights.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question, here's all I have to say: if it were the case that x<y<z and say d(x,z)<d(x,y), then what if you picked y=x and z>x? Then you'd have d(x,z)<0 for x!=z, which means d isn't a metric.
Kevin

Thank you, you could use that to prove by contradiction that if x<=y<=z, then d(x,y)<=d(x,z) and d(y,z)<=d(x,z). This was the only missing link in my proof, so assuming the rest was correct, i guess the squeeze theorem is true for an arbitrary metric on R.

What is the Squeeze Theorem for an arbitrary metric?

The Squeeze Theorem for an arbitrary metric states that if two functions, f(x) and g(x), approach the same limit as x approaches a certain value, and a third function h(x) is always between f(x) and g(x), then h(x) also approaches the same limit.

Why is the Squeeze Theorem useful in mathematics?

The Squeeze Theorem allows us to determine the limit of a function that is difficult to evaluate directly by using two functions with known limits that "squeeze" the unknown function. This theorem is particularly useful in proving the convergence of sequences and series.

Can the Squeeze Theorem be applied to any metric space?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be applied to any metric space, as long as the functions involved satisfy the conditions of the theorem. This makes it a powerful tool in analyzing functions in various mathematical settings.

What are the conditions that must be satisfied for the Squeeze Theorem to hold?

The conditions for the Squeeze Theorem are: 1) the two "squeezing" functions must have the same limit as x approaches the given value, 2) the third function must be between the two squeezing functions, and 3) the third function must approach the same limit as the squeezing functions.

Are there any variations or extensions of the Squeeze Theorem?

Yes, there are variations and extensions of the Squeeze Theorem, such as the Generalized Squeeze Theorem and the Sandwich Theorem. These theorems have slightly different conditions and allow for a wider range of applications in mathematics.