1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze theorem

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Ok, this is kind of embarrassing. I'm halfway through calc II and while the squeeze theorem makes sense to me when I read it, I don't see how it's applied. I feel like I must be missing something very fundamental for this to not make sense.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(cosx)/x = 0 [/tex]

What are the 2 functions that are squeezing the 3rd? Once you know the 2 functions do just evaluate one of them at the limit?

Is it as simple as just splitting up the function? [tex](1/x)(cos x)[/tex] and then evaluating [tex]1/x[/tex] at infinity. That would certainly yield 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually, you use the squeeze theorem by identifing a piece of your function that you can bound.

Let me do an example in a slightly silly way:

[tex]
    \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^2 + \ln x}{x^2 + 1}
    [/tex]

Now, when x is large, we have the bound [itex]0 < \ln x < x[/itex]. With a little work, we can prove:

[tex]
    \frac{x^2}{x^2+1} < \frac{x^2 + \ln x}{x^2 + 1} < \frac{x^2 + x}{x^2+1}
    [/tex]

for large x. (such as x > 1)

We can evaluate the limits on the left and right hand sides: they both come out to 1. So, the original limit must also be 1!

That's how the squeeze theorem is usually used: you identify a piece of the function that you can bound, then substitute in the bounds to get an inequality to which you can apply the squeeze theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?