1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze theorem

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    Suppose I want to find the limit of a function g(x) as lim x-> 0

f(x) =< g(x) =<h(x)

My problem is selecting an upper and lower bound.

Suppose I have to find lim x->0 sin(x)/x

I know that sin(x) have a lower bound of -1 and upper bound of 1.

How should I further take this to solve the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using your crude bounds, you can conclude that the limit of sin(x)/x lies between -∞ and +∞, if the limit exists at all. I think you will agree that this information is not very useful. Actually, you can improve it to lying between 0 and +∞, but that is not a whole lot better.

The limit is 100% standard, and appears in every calculus textbook and in many on-line calculus notes/tutorials.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

In practise one requires that [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} h(x)[/itex] for the squeeze therorem to be any use. However this problem is best solved by observing that
    [tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}
    [/tex]
    is, if it exists, equal by definition to [itex]\sin'(0)[/itex]. If you already know by other methods (such as by formally defining [itex]\sin x[/itex] to be the solution of [itex]f'' + f = 0[/itex] which satisfies [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(0) = 1[/itex]) that [itex]\sin'(0) = 1[/itex] then you're done, but otherwise you will have to proceed by looking at a suitable right-angled triangle and claiming that [itex]\sin x \approx x[/itex] for [itex]|x|[/itex] sufficiently small.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted