Finding the Limit of a Function: Sin(x)/x as x->0

In summary, the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 can be determined by using the squeeze theorem with the upper and lower bounds of -1 and 1 for sin(x). However, it is more efficient to use the definition of the derivative of sin(x) to solve this problem.
negation
Suppose I want to find the limit of a function g(x) as lim x-> 0

f(x) =< g(x) =<h(x)

My problem is selecting an upper and lower bound.

Suppose I have to find lim x->0 sin(x)/x

I know that sin(x) have a lower bound of -1 and upper bound of 1.

How should I further take this to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

f(x) =< g(x) =<h(x)

Using your crude bounds, you can conclude that the limit of sin(x)/x lies between -∞ and +∞, if the limit exists at all. I think you will agree that this information is not very useful. Actually, you can improve it to lying between 0 and +∞, but that is not a whole lot better.

The limit is 100% standard, and appears in every calculus textbook and in many on-line calculus notes/tutorials.

negation said:

f(x) =< g(x) =<h(x)

In practise one requires that [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} h(x)[/itex] for the squeeze therorem to be any use. However this problem is best solved by observing that
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}
[/tex]
is, if it exists, equal by definition to [itex]\sin'(0)[/itex]. If you already know by other methods (such as by formally defining [itex]\sin x[/itex] to be the solution of [itex]f'' + f = 0[/itex] which satisfies [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(0) = 1[/itex]) that [itex]\sin'(0) = 1[/itex] then you're done, but otherwise you will have to proceed by looking at a suitable right-angled triangle and claiming that [itex]\sin x \approx x[/itex] for [itex]|x|[/itex] sufficiently small.

1. What does it mean to find the limit of a function?

Finding the limit of a function means determining the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. In other words, it is finding the value that the function gets closer and closer to as the input gets closer and closer to a certain value.

2. Why is it important to find the limit of a function?

Finding the limit of a function can help us understand the behavior of the function near a certain value. It can also help us determine if the function is continuous at that value, and it can be used to solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

3. What is the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0?

The limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. This can be shown using the squeeze theorem or by evaluating the limit using algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identity sin(x)/x = 1 when x = 0.

4. Can the limit of a function be different from the actual value of the function?

Yes, the limit of a function may be different from the actual value of the function at a certain point. This can happen if the function is not defined at that point or if there is a discontinuity in the function at that point.

5. What are some techniques for finding the limit of a function?

Some techniques for finding the limit of a function include using algebraic manipulation, applying known limit laws, using the squeeze theorem, and using L'Hopital's rule. Graphing the function and observing its behavior near the point of interest can also provide insight into the limit.