1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze Therom Problem

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the lim of:

lim X-> -2 (3/4x) cos (4/(x+2))

3. The attempt at a solution

The x-> -2 threw me off, because the center changed.

im having trouble understanding the function of the squeeze therm here.
    i understand that the bound is (-3/4x) and (3/4x). i also understand that the graph of the cos is shifted to the left by 2 units and so as x-> -2 it is centered at -2.

i was confused when i took the lim of (-3/4x) and got (3/8), and for (3/4x) i got (-3/8).
    since the lim don't equal i am going assuming the lim DNE. But on the other hand when i graph (-3/4x) and (3/4x) they make and X graph centered on the origin. Also the graph of the cos(4/(2+x)) oscillates wildly at -2 but cos(4/(2+x)) is also squeezed at the origin between (-3/4x) and (3/4x).

so would the lim be zero? or would it be DNE? i really think its zero since the bounds of (-3/4x) and (3/4x) squeeze cos (4/(x+2)), but i don't understand how i am supposed to do it with out a graphing calculator or graphing it by hand to see where the functions are being squeezed.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first guess, DNE, is the correct one. And you are also right that very near x=-2 the function oscillates infinitely between about -3/8 and +3/8 (since 4/(2+x) goes to +/-infinity it goes through an infinite number of cycles of cos). That's not enough of a squeeze to force it to a limit. You don't really need a graphing calculator, to make a rough picture of this in your head.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    What do you mean by its "not enough of a squeeze to force it to a lim"?

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean you are only forcing the oscillation to be between -3/8 and 3/8. There's a lot of numbers in that range. The limit doesn't exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?