Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeezing immune cells

1. Dec 2, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our immune cells are able to squeeze themselves through cellular barriers such as the lining of blood vessels and bowel epithelium.

I am wondering: how do they do that, exactly which cells do it, and are they also able to go through tight junctions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2
    "NEW YORK, N.Y. -- Under normal conditions white blood cells, or leukocytes, circulate in the blood stream waiting to be called by damaged tissue to the site of injury or infection. Movement of the leukocytes into the damaged tissue from the blood requires the cells to squeeze between the endothelial cells that line the blood vessel walls. This rapid process is called Trans-Endothelial cell Migration (TEM), or diapedesis, and leads to the normal inflammation of the tissue. However the white blood cell must migrate through the endothelial cells of the vessel wall without jeopardizing the integrity of the blood vessel. Just how this is accomplished has long been a source of debate among biologists and immunologists."

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/03/4.3.03/Weill-recycle_cells.html

4. Dec 2, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so I asked the right question, let me take a look at the link..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?