Prove Squeezing Theorem with Natural Log: Find Limit as n->∞

In summary, to prove the inequality (nn/en-1)< n! < ((n+1)n+1/en), the natural logarithm function can be applied to all parts of the equation to simplify it. The proof can be done using either proof by induction or proof by contradiction. Additionally, the squeezing theorem can be used to find the limit as n approaches infinity of the nth root of n! divided by n.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Use the natural logarithm function to prove that (nn/en-1)< n! <
((n+1)n+1/en). Then use the squeezing theorem to find the limit as n approches infinity of nth root of (n!) all divided by n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to even start. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters you could apply "ln" to all parts of the equation.

The proofing methods that spring to mind are:
  • proof by induction
  • proof by contradiction

Do you know what those are?
If so, did you try to apply them?

No, I don't know what those are, but I'll look them up and learn them.

I applied ln to each part of the equation then plugged in n=10 and got 14.0259<15.1044<16.3768. This proves the equation for n=10, but how do I prove it for all real numbers?

Ki-nana18 said:
I applied ln to each part of the equation then plugged in n=10 and got 14.0259<15.1044<16.3768. This proves the equation for n=10, but how do I prove it for all real numbers?

Let's start with the definition of the natural logarithm.
For each a and b: ln(a*b) = ln a + ln b
Furthermore, the natural logarithm is a strictly increasing function, which means that if you apply it to the parts of an inequality, the inequality sign keeps pointing in the same direction.

Can you apply that to the inequality?

Yeah that makes total sense. I'm going to write explanation because I can't write it mathematically. Can you help me with the second part?

Proof by full induction consists of 2 steps:
1. You proof that the inequality holds for some specific n0
2. You proof that if the inequality holds for som n >= n0, it also holds for n+1.

In our case the inequality holds for n=2 because:

[tex]\frac 4 e = \frac {2^2} {e^{2-1}} < 2! < \frac {(2+1)^{2+1}} {e^2} = \frac {27} {e^2}[/tex]

So we need to prove that if it holds for n, it also holds for n+1.

If we multiply all parts of the inequality for n with (n+1) we get:

[tex]\frac {n^n} {e^{n-1}} (n+1) < (n+1)! < \frac {(n+1)^{n+1}} {e^n} (n+1)[/tex]

So if we can prove that:

[tex]\frac {(n+1)^{n+1}} {e^{(n+1)-1}} <^? \frac {n^n} {e^{n-1}} (n+1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {(n+1)^{n+1}} {e^n} (n+1) <\limits^? \frac {(n+2)^{n+2}} {e^{n+1}}[/tex]

then we will have completed the proof.

Can you see where this is going?

1. What is the Squeezing Theorem?

The Squeezing Theorem, also known as the Sandwich Theorem, is a mathematical tool used to determine the limit of a function by comparing it to two other functions whose limits are known. It is commonly used to evaluate limits that are difficult to solve directly.

2. How does the Squeezing Theorem relate to natural logarithms?

The Squeezing Theorem can be used to prove the limit of a function involving natural logarithms by sandwiching it between two other functions whose limits can be easily evaluated. This allows us to find the limit of the original function without directly evaluating it.

3. What does the notation "n->∞" mean?

The notation "n->∞" means that the limit is being evaluated as the variable n approaches infinity. This means that we are finding the behavior of the function as the input becomes increasingly large.

4. How do you prove the Squeezing Theorem with natural logarithms?

To prove the Squeezing Theorem with natural logarithms, we first identify the function that we want to find the limit of. We then find two other functions, one that is greater than or equal to the original function and one that is less than or equal to the original function. By evaluating the limits of these two functions and showing that they approach the same value as n->∞, we can conclude that the original function also approaches the same value.

5. Can the Squeezing Theorem be used for any function involving natural logarithms?

Yes, the Squeezing Theorem can be used for any function involving natural logarithms as long as we can find two other functions to sandwich it between whose limits are known. However, it may not always be the most efficient or effective method for finding the limit of a function.