Does Defining a Four-Dimensional Velocity Vector Make Sense for Time Dilation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it can be viewed as everything moving at a constant velocity through four-dimensional spacetime. The formula for this is given as r_4 = (c t', x, y, z) = (\frac{c}{\gamma} t, x, y, z) and it is mentioned that this idea has been presented by Brian Greene. The speaker also questions the validity and usefulness of this concept and asks for any further insights or explanations.
NanakiXIII
When looking at time dilation, I once came across a piece (I don't remember where) that said you could view time dilation as follows. Everything moves through four-dimensional spacetime at a constant velocity c. Something stationary is only moving in the time dimension. Something that has a velocity v in a spatial direction, however, cannot move at velocity c in the time dimension since its total velocity would change. Thus its velocity in the time dimension is decreased, hence time dilation.

I thought that was a nice thought, but I never came across anything that verified that it makes any sense. Today I was prompted to consider this statement a bit more quantitatively. It works if you take the vector (my reference frame being S and there being some reference frame S' with spatial velocity v with respect to S)

[tex]r_4 = (c t', x, y, z) = (\frac{c}{\gamma} t, x, y, z)[/tex]

so that

[tex]v_4 = \.{r}_4 = (\frac{c}{\gamma}, \.{x}, \.{y}, \.{z})[/tex].

The length of this vector is c, as per

[tex]v_4 \cdot v_4 = c^2 (1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}) + v^2 = c^2[/tex].

So, defining this vector things might make sense. What I'm wondering, however, is how much sense it makes to define this vector. It takes the spatial co-ordinates from S and the time co-ordinate from S', which seems odd. Does differentiating ct' make any sense if you want the velocity in the time dimension?

I couldn't find anything about this and I have no idea what it would be called, which makes searching for it a bit difficult. It sounds somewhat like a layman's explanation and I'm fairly sure I came across this in a very much simplified treatment of Special Relativity, but I'd like to hear what anyone has to comment on it, whether it has any merit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post #7 in this thread may be useful.

Brian Greene is the one who I've seem summarizing relativity in terms of the "everything travels at c through spacetime" idea, and I quoted the math he uses to justify this in post #3 here.

1. What is [SR] Constant four-velocity c?

[SR] Constant four-velocity c, also known as the speed of light in a vacuum, is a fundamental constant in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It is denoted by the letter c and has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Why is [SR] Constant four-velocity c important?

[SR] Constant four-velocity c plays a crucial role in special relativity as it is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is also a fundamental constant in many other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

3. Can [SR] Constant four-velocity c be exceeded?

No, according to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Nothing can travel faster than c, and any attempt to do so would require an infinite amount of energy.

4. How is [SR] Constant four-velocity c related to time and space?

In special relativity, time and space are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. The value of c is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, and is a fundamental part of the equations that relate time and space in different reference frames.

5. Is [SR] Constant four-velocity c the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the speed of light in a vacuum has been measured to be the same in all directions and at all locations in the universe. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity known as the isotropy of the speed of light.