SR Foundations: Parallax Methods? - Reference Request

However, I do remember reading about the alternate foundation based on using parallax methods to infer coordinates for a remote event. This approach avoids the use of "rigid rods" or "rigid scales" and instead relies on angles and a local baseline scale. It's a less commonly known approach, but it's worth considering as a way to establish frames of reference in Special Relativity. In summary, the conversation discussed the use of "rigid rods" or "rigid scales" in traditional treatments of Special Relativity, and the possibility of using parallax methods as an alternate foundation for establishing frames of reference.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Standard treatments (e.g., Rindler) of the foundations of Special Relativity invoke use of a "rigid rod" or "rigid scale" by an observer to construct his inertial frame -- by (somewhat fictionally) transporting the rod (and also cloning copies of a standard clock at every point in the frame). Alternatively, there's also appeals to the radar method of sending and receiving light signals to establish the frame. ISTM, use of such dubious motivations becomes an ever-increasing embarrassment in the modern era.

I vaguely recall a paper that proposed an alternate foundation based on an observer using parallax methods. I.e., inferring coordinates for a remote event in terms of two angles and
a local baseline scale (and of course the Einsteinian invariance of light velocity). I've tried various searches to re-find this work, but failed.

So I'm wondering whether such a parallax method for SR foundations rings a bell with anyone here? Does anyone know references, or perhaps an alternate name for this approach?

TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
@strangerep did you have any more insight on this topic?
No, I never found that original paper and eventually moved on to other topics.

1. What are parallax methods used for in SR Foundations?

Parallax methods are used to measure the distance between two objects by observing their apparent shift in position from different vantage points. In SR Foundations, parallax methods are commonly used to measure the distance between stars and other celestial objects.

2. How do parallax methods work?

Parallax methods work by taking advantage of the fact that objects appear to shift in position when viewed from different locations. By measuring the amount of shift in an object's position, scientists can calculate its distance from the observer.

3. What is the difference between trigonometric and spectroscopic parallax?

Trigonometric parallax is based on the apparent shift in an object's position when viewed from different locations on Earth. Spectroscopic parallax, on the other hand, uses the Doppler effect to measure the radial velocity of an object and calculate its distance.

4. What is the significance of parallax methods in SR Foundations?

Parallax methods are essential in SR Foundations for accurately measuring the distance between celestial objects and determining the scale of the universe. They also play a crucial role in understanding the motion and evolution of stars and galaxies.

5. Are there any limitations to using parallax methods?

Yes, there are limitations to using parallax methods. These methods are only effective for objects within a certain distance from Earth, typically up to a few thousand light-years. Additionally, atmospheric disturbances and instrument precision can affect the accuracy of the measurements.