Special Relativity vs General Relativity: T_{\mu\nu} = 0

In summary: T_{\mu\nu} in SR to analyze things like the non-proportionality of energy density and inertial mass density. As far as T_{\mu\nu}= 0, this can lead to the Minkowski metric once you transform to an inertial frame. Otherwise the components of the metric (i.e. the set of ten gravitational potentials g_uv) may net be constant in space, i.e. there could be gravitational forces/accelerations still present.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does SR appear as the special case of GR when [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] in which case the solution of Einstein's equation is the Minkowski metric?

And what are the Ricci tensors and scalar curvature like in the case [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
Does SR appear as the special case of GR when [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] in which case the solution of Einstein's equation is the Minkowski metric?

And what are the Ricci tensors and scalar curvature like in the case [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex]?

Using the field equations (with zero cosmological constant), a zero stress tensor yields a zero ricci tensor and ricci scalar. You'll need more than requiring "vacuum" (zero stress tensor) to get SR.

You'll need a zero Weyl Tensor as well.
Strictly speaking, to get "SR", you'll need the right manifold, [tex]R^4[/tex], to start with.

The analogy to Maxwell's equations might be helpful here to clarify some of the reasons why a zero stress tensor doesn't guarantee a Minkowski (SR) metric.

Consider asking "Suppose you have no charges - are the E and B fields zero everywhere?". The answer is no, you could have electromagnetic radiation. Usually one specifies boundary conditions as well as a charge distribution to get a unique solution to Maxwell's equations. For Maxwell's equations, having E and B zero at infinity is a standard boundary condition, for GR the analogous boundary condition would be "asymptotic flatness".

Are you suggesting that, for GR, vacuum and asymptotic flatness imply that the Riemann curvature is zero everywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
quasar987 said:

SR is the special case of GR where the metric components [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] are all constants. This corresponds to a zero Riemann tensor, which is more restrictive than setting the Ricci tensor equal to zero. [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex], which gives a zero Ricci tensor, corresponds to empty space. Empty space can be curved, of course.

robphy said:
Are you suggesting that, for GR, vacuum and asymptotic flatness imply that the Riemann curvature is zero everywhere?

No, not really.

quasar987 said:

I've used [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] in SR myself. In fact I learned more about it in an SR text than any GR text that I have. In my cases it was used to analyze things like the non-proportionality of energy density and inertial mass density. As far as [itex]T_{\mu\nu}= 0[/itex], this can lead to the Minkowski metric once you transform to an inertial frame. Otherwise the components of the metric (i.e. the set of ten gravitational potentials g_uv) may net be constant in space, i.e. there could be gravitational forces/accelerations still present.

Pete

Last edited:

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity and general relativity are both theories proposed by Albert Einstein to explain the nature of space and time. Special relativity deals with the effects of motion on the measurements of space and time, while general relativity extends this to include the effects of gravity.

What does T_{\mu\nu} = 0 represent in the context of relativity?

T_{\mu\nu} = 0, also known as the Einstein field equations, is a mathematical representation of how the curvature of space and time is related to the distribution of matter and energy. In simpler terms, it describes the relationship between gravity and the presence of matter and energy in the universe.

Why is special relativity important in understanding the universe?

Special relativity has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of space and time. It has also led to important scientific advancements, such as the development of the theory of general relativity and the concept of spacetime.

How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in several ways. One of the key differences is that general relativity describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime, while Newton's theory suggests that gravity is a force between masses. Additionally, general relativity predicts phenomena such as gravitational time dilation and the bending of light, which are not accounted for in Newton's theory.

What evidence supports the validity of special relativity and general relativity?

There is a vast amount of evidence that supports the validity of special relativity and general relativity. This includes observations of the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the existence of gravitational waves, and the accuracy of GPS technology, which relies on the principles of special and general relativity.