1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SR from GR

1. Jul 8, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does SR appear as the special case of GR when [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] in which case the solution of Einstein's equation is the Minkowski metric?

And what are the Ricci tensors and scalar curvature like in the case [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the field equations (with zero cosmological constant), a zero stress tensor yields a zero ricci tensor and ricci scalar. You'll need more than requiring "vacuum" (zero stress tensor) to get SR.

You'll need a zero Weyl Tensor as well.
    Strictly speaking, to get "SR", you'll need the right manifold, [tex]R^4[/tex], to start with.

4. Jul 8, 2007 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The analogy to Maxwell's equations might be helpful here to clarify some of the reasons why a zero stress tensor doesn't guarantee a Minkowski (SR) metric.

Consider asking "Suppose you have no charges - are the E and B fields zero everywhere?". The answer is no, you could have electromagnetic radiation. Usually one specifies boundary conditions as well as a charge distribution to get a unique solution to Maxwell's equations. For Maxwell's equations, having E and B zero at infinity is a standard boundary condition, for GR the analogous boundary condition would be "asymptotic flatness".

5. Jul 8, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you suggesting that, for GR, vacuum and asymptotic flatness imply that the Riemann curvature is zero everywhere?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  6. Jul 8, 2007 #5
    SR is the special case of GR where the metric components [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] are all constants. This corresponds to a zero Riemann tensor, which is more restrictive than setting the Ricci tensor equal to zero. [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex], which gives a zero Ricci tensor, corresponds to empty space. Empty space can be curved, of course.

7. Jul 9, 2007 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, not really.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #7
    I've used [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] in SR myself. In fact I learned more about it in an SR text than any GR text that I have. In my cases it was used to analyze things like the non-proportionality of energy density and inertial mass density. As far as [itex]T_{\mu\nu}= 0[/itex], this can lead to the Minkowski metric once you transform to an inertial frame. Otherwise the components of the metric (i.e. the set of ten gravitational potentials g_uv) may net be constant in space, i.e. there could be gravitational forces/accelerations still present.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?