Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SR from GR

1. Jul 8, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does SR appear as the special case of GR when [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] in which case the solution of Einstein's equation is the Minkowski metric?

And what are the Ricci tensors and scalar curvature like in the case [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the field equations (with zero cosmological constant), a zero stress tensor yields a zero ricci tensor and ricci scalar. You'll need more than requiring "vacuum" (zero stress tensor) to get SR.

You'll need a zero Weyl Tensor as well.
    Strictly speaking, to get "SR", you'll need the right manifold, [tex]R^4[/tex], to start with.

4. Jul 8, 2007 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The analogy to Maxwell's equations might be helpful here to clarify some of the reasons why a zero stress tensor doesn't guarantee a Minkowski (SR) metric.

Consider asking "Suppose you have no charges - are the E and B fields zero everywhere?". The answer is no, you could have electromagnetic radiation. Usually one specifies boundary conditions as well as a charge distribution to get a unique solution to Maxwell's equations. For Maxwell's equations, having E and B zero at infinity is a standard boundary condition, for GR the analogous boundary condition would be "asymptotic flatness".

5. Jul 8, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you suggesting that, for GR, vacuum and asymptotic flatness imply that the Riemann curvature is zero everywhere?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  6. Jul 8, 2007 #5
    SR is the special case of GR where the metric components [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] are all constants. This corresponds to a zero Riemann tensor, which is more restrictive than setting the Ricci tensor equal to zero. [itex]T_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex], which gives a zero Ricci tensor, corresponds to empty space. Empty space can be curved, of course.

7. Jul 9, 2007 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, not really.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #7
    I've used [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex] in SR myself. In fact I learned more about it in an SR text than any GR text that I have. In my cases it was used to analyze things like the non-proportionality of energy density and inertial mass density. As far as [itex]T_{\mu\nu}= 0[/itex], this can lead to the Minkowski metric once you transform to an inertial frame. Otherwise the components of the metric (i.e. the set of ten gravitational potentials g_uv) may net be constant in space, i.e. there could be gravitational forces/accelerations still present.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?