Can Special Relativity Solve the Twin Paradox in a Gravitational Field?

In summary: B accelerates because of a star's gravitational field and not because of his rocket's engines, then one would use the Schwarzschild metric.
lightarrow
It is possible to draw world-lines of the two twins in the non-accelerating one (A) frame of ref. The aging of the other (B), with respect to the first, is evaluated integrating its proper time differential (and comparing it with A's proper time).

My question is (certainly already asked): is there a difference, about our ability to draw those diagrams and make that computation, if B accelerates because of a star's gravitational field and not because of his rocket's engines?

Could we avoid knowing GR and using SR only, in this case? If the answer is yes, in which other cases (where B is accelerating) would be possible to use SR only?

Physics news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
It is possible to draw world-lines of the two twins in the non-accelerating one (A) frame of ref. The aging of the other (B), with respect to the first, is evaluated integrating its proper time differential (and comparing it with A's proper time).

My question is (certainly already asked): is there a difference, about our ability to draw those diagrams and make that computation, if B accelerates because of a star's gravitational field and not because of his rocket's engines?

Could we avoid knowing GR and using SR only, in this case? If the answer is yes, in which other cases (where B is accelerating) would be possible to use SR only?

While one does have to use GR when one is in the gravitational field of a massive body, not very much of GR is needed.

Basically, one has to replace the line element used in SR

[tex]d\tau^2 = dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/tex]

by the more general line element for GR

[tex]d\tau^2 = \sum_{i,j} g_{ij} dx^i dx^j[/tex]

Specifically, for a single massive body, one would use the Schwarzschild metric, and one would typically write out the sum as

[tex]d\tau^2 = (1 - r/r_s) dt^2 - \frac{dr^2}{1-r/r_s} - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2 \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2[/tex]

which equates [itex]dx^0[/itex]=dt, [itex]dx^1[/itex]=dr, [itex]dx^2[/itex]=[itex]d\theta[/itex] [itex]dx^3[/itex] = [itex]d\phi[/itex]

and replaces the general metric with the Schwarzschild metric, so that for instance [itex]g_{00}[/itex] = (1-r/[itex]r_s[/itex]) and [itex] g_{11} [/itex]= [tex]\frac{1}{1-r/r_s}[/tex]

[itex]r_s[/itex] is the Schwarzschild radius

One solves for [itex]d\tau[/itex] by taking [itex]\sqrt{d\tau^2}[/itex] which is given by the metric, and then one integrates [itex]d\tau[/itex] in the usual manner you describe, just as one does for SR, except that one uses the general metric to compute [itex]d\tau[/itex] rather than the flat Minkowski metric.

Last edited:
So, if twin B (the one who accelerates) doesn't look out of the window, how can he establish that he accelerates because of a grav. field and not because of his rockets and so, that he have to use another metric instead of the Minkowsky one?

lightarrow said:
So, if twin B (the one who accelerates) doesn't look out of the window, how can he establish that he accelerates because of a grav. field and not because of his rockets and so, that he have to use another metric instead of the Minkowsky one?

An observer in a flat Minkowski space-time does not HAVE to use a Minkowski metric, it's just the easiest and simplest choice. An accelerating observer in a Minkowski space-time might chose to use Rindler coordinates, for instance.

Take a look at http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/chapter2.pdf

This has some material from one of Taylor's book I'll quote a brief excerpt:

Nothing is more distressing on first contact with the idea of curved spacetime
than the fear that every simple means of measurement has lost its
power in this unfamiliar context. One thinks of oneself as confronted with
the task of measuring the shape of a gigantic and fantastically sculptured
iceberg as one stands with a meterstick in a tossing rowboat on the surface
of a heaving ocean.

Were it the rowboat itself whose shape were to be measured, the procedure
would be simple enough (Figure 1). Draw it up on shore, turn it
upside down, and lightly drive in nails at strategic points here and there
on the surface. The measurement of distances from nail to nail would
record and reveal the shape of the surface. Using only the table of these
distances between each nail and other nearby nails, someone else can
reconstruct the shape of the rowboat. The precision of reproduction can be
made arbitrarily great by making the number of nails arbitrarily large.
It takes more daring to think of driving into the towering iceberg a large
number of pitons, the spikes used for rope climbing on ice. Yet here too the
geometry of the iceberg is described—and its shape made reproducible—
by measuring the distance between each piton and its neighbors.But with all the daring in the world, how is one to drive a nail into spacetime
to mark a point? Happily, Nature provides its own way to localize a
point in spacetime, as Einstein was the first to emphasize. Characterize the
point by what happens there: firecracker, spark, or collision! Give a point
in spacetime the name event

So a metric is defined by setting up a number of events in space-time, and assigning them coordinates.

If the events are close enough to each other, the distance (in GR, the Lorentz interval) will be determined by some quadratic form written in terms of the coordinates. The coefficients of this quadratic form are the metric.

It might or might not be obvious, but one can recover the notion of distances and times given the Lorentz intervals between all pairs of points. I don't want to digress on how this is done right at the moment, but if you want more info, ask.

So you can have many metrics that describe the same physical situation, by chosing different coordinates, i.e. assigning different numbers for the coordinates of some physically defined set of events.

If you know the metric coefficients in some particular neighborhood, there is a way to determine if the underlying space-time is flat, but it's a bit technical. One basically computes the curvature tensor - if the space-time is flat, there will be no curvature, i.e. all the components of the curvature tensor will vanish.

By this procedure, an accelerating observer using Rindler coordinates and an inertial observer using some Minkowski coordinates will have different coordinates for the same points, and also will have different metrics.

Both will, however, compute a zero curvature tensor.

I hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Sorry if I keep asking, even if you have already answered; I have understood something but not everything.
My question is: having all the necessary events for the twins, can I avoid using GR and use SR only if I find an inertial frame of ref. with respect to which I draw the twin's world lines?

pervect said:
An observer in a flat Minkowski space-time does not HAVE to use a Minkowski metric, it's just the easiest and simplest choice.
An observer in Minkowski space has no choice but to use the Minkowski metric, but he is free to choose any suitable coordinate chart.

pervect said:
So you can have many metrics that describe the same physical situation, by chosing different coordinates, i.e. assigning different numbers for the coordinates of some physically defined set of events.
You are really describing coordinate charts here not metrics.

The difference is not very important in flat spaces but in curved spaces the difference is essential.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
An observer in Minkowski space has no choice but to use the Minkowski metric, but he is free to choose any suitable coordinate chart.

You are really describing coordinate charts here not metrics.

The difference is not very important in flat spaces but in curved spaces the difference is essential.

I tend to use "metric" and "coordinate chart" interchangeably.

Most people who make a big deal of the distinction are mathematicians rather than physicists.

Looking at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MinkowskiMetric.html

it appears to me that the Minkowski metric is defined in terms of a particular coordinate chart, and that metrics with a vanishing Riemann may be equivalent to the Minkowski metric but are not identical to it.

This URL may only prove that other people are as sloppy as I am about the distinction between the two.

lightarrow said:
Sorry if I keep asking, even if you have already answered; I have understood something but not everything.
My question is: having all the necessary events for the twins, can I avoid using GR and use SR only if I find an inertial frame of ref. with respect to which I draw the twin's world lines?

If you can find some inertial frame of reference, then you can use SR to draw the twins worldlines on a flat sheet of paper, using the coordinates of that inertial frame.

If you can't find some inertial frame of reference (for instance if you have gravity), then you'd have to draw your SR diagram on some non-flat sheet of paper to get the right answer.

Often times the gravitational effects are small, and the error involved in using a flat sheet of paper rather than the GR approach is small. For instance, the gravitational time dilation causes a difference of .7 parts per billion between the surface of the Earth and a point infinitely far away.

(see for instance)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html

So if you don't mind a part per billion error, you can ignore the gravity of the Earth in a "twin paradox" type example.

Last edited:

What is special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity (SR) and general relativity (GR) are two theories developed by Albert Einstein to explain the relationship between space, time, and gravity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerating frames of reference and the effects of gravity.

What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of special relativity on time dilation. It involves one twin traveling at high speeds in space while the other twin stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation. This paradox was initially thought to challenge the principles of special relativity, but it has since been resolved through the understanding of relative frames of reference.

How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at high speeds relative to another object. This is a result of the constant speed of light and the relativity of time and space. According to special relativity, the faster an object moves, the slower time will pass for it. This has been proven through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, which showed that atomic clocks on airplanes traveled slightly slower than those on the ground due to their high speeds.

What is the role of gravity in general relativity?

In general relativity, gravity is not viewed as a force between masses but rather as a curvature of spacetime. According to Einstein's theory, the presence of mass or energy causes a curvature in the fabric of spacetime, which in turn affects the motion of objects within it. This explains why objects with mass are attracted to each other and why planets orbit around the sun.

How do special and general relativity impact our daily lives?

Special and general relativity have been tested and proven to be accurate theories, and they have greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. They have also led to the development of technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately. Additionally, understanding the concept of relativity has allowed us to explore and understand phenomena such as black holes and the expanding universe.