1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SR/GR Space-Time

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I am a self taught (dare I say Physicist?). I have been struggling with a specific concept of GR/SR. This concept is "Gravitation" and it's explanation. As I understand it, classic Newtonian gravity in which mass attracts to other mass is not technically correct. There are "geodesics" in space-time that objects of mass follow. I have two questions in reference to this concept.
    1) Why does space-time even bend for massive objects? In Illustration 1a I have provided my conceptualization of the "Rubber sheet" of space time.
    [View 1a] [​IMG]

This is what I would initially view the rubber sheet as. Now the trouble I am having is why would the sheet bend? What compels the massive objects to bend this sheet?

2)In the event that space-time does bend (perhaps as volume displacement?) why would a lesser object (B) be compelled to move toward the more massive object (A) given a scenario in which Object B has no momentum (velocity)?

[View 2a] [​IMG]
    As I understand it, in a zero-G environment neither object would move regardless of the curve in the rubber sheet. What makes space-time different?

I look forward to your replies as these are questions I have never had properly satisfied.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curved spacetime is just a model to describe how massive objects affect their surroundings. The why-question cannot be answered without creating the next why-question.

Very well observed :smile:. The very popular marbles-rolling-on-a-rubber-sheet-analogy is misleading, because the rubber sheet represents curved space not curved spacetime. To understand the difference look here:
    http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb..._and_general_relativity/curved_spacetime.html

And then check out the links I gave in this post:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1557122

And then ask further questions, if any.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?