Understanding SRAM Randomization Effects and Data Remanence

• Thread starter Artlav
  • Start date
In summary: The data remanence is a measure of how long the data stored in an electronic device will remain readable.
Artlav
Hello.

While tinkering with some digital circuits i noticed a peculiarity i don't quite understand.

The culprit is an SRAM memory block, used as a video buffer (specifically, IS61LV25616 asynchronous CMOS static ram), which on power on remains in it's uninitialized state.

As could be expected, the image appears to be quite random.

However, there is a peculiarity - the random is not very random.
If i compare the content between two power cycles without writing anything, there would be only about 1-2% of difference.
If i write something into it, then cycle the power, it is no more than 10-20% different from the baseline.
The baseline is writing all 1's, then turning off for 10 seconds.

More interestingly, if i write something into it, power cycle, write something else, power cycle, write the first thing again, power cycle, then the decays of first and third ones would still be only about 1-2% different, and 1 and 2 could be anything between 2 and about 20% different.

It appears that there is some kind of default pattern it settles into when unpowered, slightly altered by it's prior content.

I wonder what is causing it?
Where are the origins of that pattern?

Another thing along the same alley - the SRAM is often noted for it's high data remanence, however turning the power off even for a fraction of a second (in human terms) results in a completely randomized image.
What have i missed there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ideally an SRAM cell is perfectly symmetric and is equally likely to be found in either state. However, in practice the transistors forming the SRAM have statistical variations in their parameters (such as threshold voltage and transconductance) which give each cell a preferred state. On power-up, each SRAM cell will settle into its preferred state. This is why the state of the SRAM array on power-up is not random, but appears to have a pattern. You need to write the cell in order to get it into a known state.

Makes sense, thank you.

What about the data remanence?

What is SRAM randomization?

SRAM randomization is a technique used to increase the security of data stored in computer memory. It involves periodically changing the physical location of data within the SRAM (Static Random-Access Memory) cells, making it more difficult for an attacker to access sensitive information.

Why is SRAM randomization important for data security?

SRAM randomization is important for data security because it helps prevent data remanence, which is the residual data that remains in computer memory even after the device has been powered off. This residual data can be accessed by an attacker and used to retrieve sensitive information.

How does SRAM randomization affect the performance of a computer?

SRAM randomization can have a slight impact on the performance of a computer because it requires additional processing power to periodically move data within the SRAM cells. However, the impact is minimal and is considered a worthwhile trade-off for increased data security.

Can SRAM randomization be used in all types of computers?

SRAM randomization can be used in most types of computers, including desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. However, it may not be practical for devices with limited processing power or memory, such as some embedded systems or IoT devices.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using SRAM randomization?

One potential drawback of SRAM randomization is that it may not completely eliminate data remanence. Skilled attackers may still be able to retrieve some residual data, although it will be more difficult and time-consuming. Additionally, SRAM randomization may not protect against other methods of data extraction, such as cold boot attacks.