Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the problem involves demonstrating the relation [\varphi(x),M^{\mu\nu}]=\mathcal{L}^{\mu\nu}\varphi(x), where \mathcal{L}^{\mu\nu}\equiv \frac{\hbar}{i}(x^\mu\partial^\nu-x^\nu\partial^\mu). The solution involves transforming the field \varphi(x) from unprimed coordinates to primed coordinates using the inverse transformation \Lambda_\nu^\mu x^\nu = (\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu and taking the derivative with respect to the primed coordinates.
tshafer

Homework Statement

I need to demonstrate the relation [tex][\varphi(x),M^{\mu\nu}]=\matchal{L}^{\mu\nu}\varphi(x)[/tex]

where
[tex]\mathcal{L}^{\mu\nu}\equiv \frac{\hbar}{i}(x^\mu\partial^\nu-x^\nu\partial^\mu)[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]U(\Lambda)^{-1}\varphi(x)U(\Lambda) = \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex]

[tex]\Lambda = 1+\delta\omega[/tex]

[tex]\Lambda^\mu_\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu + \delta\omega^\mu_\nu[/tex]

[tex]U(1+\delta\omega) = 1 + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can pretty easily evaluate the LHS of the expression to give

[tex]\varphi(x) + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\mu\nu} [\varphi(x),M^{\mu\nu}][/tex],

but I am having a ton of trouble with deciphering what is meant by [tex]\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex], particularly how I am supposed to get derivatives of the type [tex]\partial^\mu[/tex] when I had thought [tex]x\equiv x^\mu[/tex] here, implying derivatives of the kind [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex].

I tried, for instance, defining an inverse transformation so

[tex]\bar{x}^\mu = {\Lambda_\nu}^\mu x^\nu = (\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu[/tex] and finding a Taylor series about x, but I don't really know how to do this in terms of indices. I get

[tex]\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \varphi(x^\mu-\delta\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu)[/tex] so that

[tex]\sim \varphi(x) - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\bar{\partial_\mu}\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex], which is sort of close, but not right.

If I magically change the inverse transformation to [tex]\Lambda_{\mu\nu}x^\nu = x_\mu - \delta\omega_{\mu\nu}x^\nu[/tex] it works, but I can't justify this.

I think the problem is with my inverse transformation and taking the derivative. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it's great to see that you are working on this problem. Let me try to help you out.

First of all, let's start with the definition of the inverse transformation. In this case, we have \bar{x}^\mu = \Lambda_\nu^\mu x^\nu = (\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu. This means that we are transforming from the primed coordinates to the unprimed coordinates, which is the opposite of what we usually do. So, x^\mu represents the unprimed coordinates and \bar{x}^\mu represents the primed coordinates.

Now, let's consider the expression \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x). What this means is that we are transforming the field \varphi(x) from the unprimed coordinates to the primed coordinates. In other words, we are transforming from x^\mu to \bar{x}^\mu. This is where the inverse transformation comes into play. Since we have defined \bar{x}^\mu in terms of x^\mu, we can use the inverse transformation to transform the field. The inverse transformation is given by \bar{x}^\mu = \Lambda_\nu^\mu x^\nu = (\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu. So, we can write \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \varphi((\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu).

Now, let's take a closer look at the Taylor series expansion that you have done. You have correctly identified that \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \varphi(x) - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu \bar{\partial_\mu}\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x). However, there is a small mistake in your expression. The derivative should be with respect to \bar{x}^\mu, not x^\mu. So, it should be \bar{\partial_\mu}\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x). This is because we are transforming from x^\mu to \bar{x}^\mu, so the derivative should be taken with respect to the primed coordinates.

I hope this helps you understand the concept better. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

What is the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation?

The Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It is used to calculate how measurements of space and time change for an observer in a different frame of reference.

Why is the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation important?

The Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation is important because it is a fundamental concept in special relativity. It allows us to understand how space and time are relative and how they can be perceived differently by different observers.

How is the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation derived?

The Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which was originally developed by Hendrik Lorentz in 1892. Srednicki expanded on this transformation in his book "Quantum Field Theory" to include the inverse transformation.

What is the difference between the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation and the Lorentz Transformation?

The main difference between the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation and the Lorentz Transformation is that the former is the inverse of the latter. This means that the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation can be used to calculate the transformation from one frame of reference to another, while the Lorentz Transformation is used to calculate the transformation in the opposite direction.

How is the Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation used in physics?

The Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation is used in various areas of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is used to calculate the effects of special relativity on measurements of space and time, and is crucial in understanding phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.