1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Srednicki 2.8 / Inverse Lorentz Transformation

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to demonstrate the relation [tex][\varphi(x),M^{\mu\nu}]=\matchal{L}^{\mu\nu}\varphi(x)[/tex]

where
    [tex]\mathcal{L}^{\mu\nu}\equiv \frac{\hbar}{i}(x^\mu\partial^\nu-x^\nu\partial^\mu)[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]U(\Lambda)^{-1}\varphi(x)U(\Lambda) = \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex]

[tex]\Lambda = 1+\delta\omega[/tex]

[tex]\Lambda^\mu_\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu + \delta\omega^\mu_\nu[/tex]

[tex]U(1+\delta\omega) = 1 + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can pretty easily evaluate the LHS of the expression to give

[tex]\varphi(x) + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\mu\nu} [\varphi(x),M^{\mu\nu}][/tex],

but I am having a ton of trouble with deciphering what is meant by [tex]\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex], particularly how I am supposed to get derivatives of the type [tex]\partial^\mu[/tex] when I had thought [tex]x\equiv x^\mu[/tex] here, implying derivatives of the kind [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex].

I tried, for instance, defining an inverse transformation so

[tex]\bar{x}^\mu = {\Lambda_\nu}^\mu x^\nu = (\delta^\mu_\nu - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu)x^\nu[/tex] and finding a Taylor series about x, but I don't really know how to do this in terms of indices. I get

[tex]\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \varphi(x^\mu-\delta\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu)[/tex] so that

[tex]\sim \varphi(x) - \delta\omega^\mu_\nu x^\nu\bar{\partial_\mu}\varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x)[/tex], which is sort of close, but not right.

If I magically change the inverse transformation to [tex]\Lambda_{\mu\nu}x^\nu = x_\mu - \delta\omega_{\mu\nu}x^\nu[/tex] it works, but I can't justify this.

I think the problem is with my inverse transformation and taking the derivative. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted