1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Srednicki 70.4: Group Theory

1. Dec 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) For SU(N), we have:
    N ⊗ N = A_A + S_S
    where A corresponds to a field with two antisymetric fundamental SU(N) in- dices φij = −φji, and S corresponds to a field with two symmetric fundamental SU(N) indices φij = φji. By considering an SU(2) subgroup of SU(N), compute T(A) and T(S).

2. Relevant equations

Under the SU(2) subgroup, N transforms as:

[2 ⊕ (N − 2)1S] ⊗ [2 ⊕ (N − 2)1s] = A + S.

3. The attempt at a solution

Distributing, we get, among other terms, 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S ⊕ 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S. It's then just a matter of separating the symmetric and anti-symmetric terms.

What I don't understand is why one of these 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S terms is symmetric and the otherone is anti-symmetric. They seem identical to me..... I think part of the problem is I don't understand Srednicki's notation 1s (sometimes 1's) -- does this just mean the singlet is symmetrical?

I understand Young Tableaux, but not sure how to use them here, the only diagram I can work out is adjoint, and therefore neither symmetrical nor anti-symmetrical.

This is the only difficulty, if we can figure out this, I know how to solve the problem from there.....

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    To phrase the question a different way, consider

4 x 4 = 10_S + 6_A.

Now if we consider the SU(3) subgroup, we have:

(3 + 1) * (3 + 1) = 3 * 3 + 3 * 1 + 1 * 3 + 1 * 1

Now clearly 1 * 1 = 1 and 3 * 3 = 6 + 3_A. So we have:

10 + 6_A = 6 + 3_A + 1 +3 * 1 + 1 * 3.

which gives:

3 + 3_A = 3 * 1 + 1 * 3

But how can this be? Whenever I do young Tableaux, I get that 3 * 1 = 1 and 1 * 3 = 3 + 2_S, which sum to 4 + 2_S ??

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    To phrase the question a different way, consider

4 x 4 = 10_S + 6_A.

Now if we consider the SU(3) subgroup, we have:

(3 + 1) * (3 + 1) = 3 * 3 + 3 * 1 + 1 * 3 + 1 * 1

Now clearly 1 * 1 = 1 and 3 * 3 = 6 + 3_A. So we have:

10 + 6_A = 6 + 3_A + 1 +3 * 1 + 1 * 3.

which gives:

3 + 3_A = 3 * 1 + 1 * 3

But how can this be? Whenever I do young Tableaux, I get that 3 * 1 = 1 and 1 * 3 = 3 + 2_S, which sum to 4 + 2_S ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted