Gold Member

Possibly a major eruption.

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That's so freaky! I just told my husband that I had a feeling Mt St Helens was gonna go this weekend! I have been watching the earthquakes on the site that monitors activity, and last week was very active.

4. As scary as these eruptions are, there is something very majestic and humbling about them. I can only imagine what it feels like to live near one.
    And now we wait... weeks? months?

5. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Current status is Volcano Advisory (Alert Level 2); aviation color code ORANGE

The USGS/Cascades Volcano Observatory, in Vancouver, Washington and the University of Washington Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates and changes in alert level as warranted.

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam - This is a static image of Mount St. Helens, taken from the Johnston Ridge Observatory. The Observatory and VolcanoCam are located at an elevation of approximately 4,500 feet, about five miles from the volcano. Updated every 5 minutes, but useful only in daylight and clear weather.

6. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that the chickens [and Kerrie :biggrin:] knew that the eruption was coming before the USGS. According to a person interviewed on the news, his chickens gave him about 15 minutes warning. Interesting if true.

7. Does this mean we should not count our Kerries befor there hatched?

8. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I had been monitoringthis website all last week, and I had noticed the activity had increased more frequent last Friday. This past weekend, I swore up and down to my husband and daughter that I had a feeling something was going to happen within the week with Mt St Helens. That was all I had mentioned, and then the mountain ended up burping ash! Some would just call me extremely logical in my guess :wink:

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Kerrie is secretly taking her cues from the chickens and then taking all of the credit. :biggrin:

10. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yea, me and the hens are pretty tight... :biggrin:

11. wolram

wolram 3,752
    Gold Member

I have just invented a" Kerrieometer", all i need is a kerrie to finish
    my invention. How much ash is being pumped out of Mt st helens,
    is it going to be problematic?

12. Astronuc

13. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We missed the last one and barely caught this one. Just before it goes dark you can see the eruption begin. At least it happened this time before sunset.

14. Astronuc

15. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Lots of earthquakes around 3.0...lava dome has collapsed, she's waking again!

16. Well I hope she wakes in a good mood.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  17. The Mt St Helens cam has some great views today

18. Astronuc

U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
    University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network, Seattle, WA

Tuesday, August 2, 2005 10:40 a.m. PDT (1740 UTC)

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Catch some cool shots at - http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Images/MSH04/framework.html

and live webcam -
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?