St. Louis Motor simple question

• Thread starter curly_ebhc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: If you give it a push, will it flip 180 degrees on its own? Is it possible your brushes are misaligned? That's often the problem with these things - the polarity must switch at just the right moment - too soon or too late and you don't get the "follow-through".
curly_ebhc
I am building a St. Louis Motor for a project in my AP physics class. I followed the directions the best i could and my physics teacher said it looked good but it does not seem to work. I tested it for continuity and it looks good. My math teacher thought that maybe the neodymium magnets i am using are tooo strong and realign the domains in the nails inside the wire coils. What do you make of this . Should i use weaker magnets?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
curly_ebhc said:
I am building a St. Louis Motor for a project in my AP physics class. I followed the directions the best i could and my physics teacher said it looked good but it does not seem to work. I tested it for continuity and it looks good. My math teacher thought that maybe the neodymium magnets i am using are tooo strong and realign the domains in the nails inside the wire coils. What do you make of this . Should i use weaker magnets?

Thank you

How does it not work? Is there strong pull? Or is it just limp? Is the problem that it's there's no activity (i.e. magnetic pull), or is it that there's plenty of activity but that it's not flipping to repulsion once the armature is aligned?

It alligns with the magnets but then does not spin. It seems like it would just spin fliping the polarity of the electrical current but it behaves exactly the same.

curly_ebhc said:
It alligns with the magnets but then does not spin. It seems like it would just spin fliping the polarity of the electrical current but it behaves exactly the same.

If you give it a push, will it flip 180 degrees on its own? Is it possible your brushes are misaligned? That's often the problem with these things - the polarity must switch at just the right moment - too soon or too late and you don't get the "follow-through".

for sharing your project with me. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into building your St. Louis Motor. Based on the information you provided, it seems like you have followed the instructions correctly and your physics teacher has confirmed that it looks good. However, the fact that it is not working could be due to a few factors.

Firstly, it is possible that the neodymium magnets you are using are indeed too strong and are interfering with the alignment of the domains in the nails inside the wire coils. This could be causing a disruption in the magnetic field and preventing the motor from functioning properly. In this case, using weaker magnets may help to solve the issue.

Another possibility is that there could be a problem with the wiring or connections within the motor. I would recommend double-checking all of your connections and making sure they are secure and in the correct positions. It is also important to make sure that the wire coils are wound correctly and are not touching each other.

Additionally, it is important to consider the power source for your motor. Are you using the correct voltage and amperage? If the power source is not strong enough, it may not provide enough energy for the motor to function properly.

In conclusion, I would suggest trying weaker magnets and double-checking all of your connections and power source. If the motor still does not work, it may be helpful to consult with your physics teacher or another expert for further troubleshooting. Keep up the good work and don't give up - science is all about trial and error and learning from our mistakes. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the St. Louis Motor?

The St. Louis Motor is a type of electric motor that was developed in the early 20th century by inventor and engineer William B. St. Louis. It was designed to be a more efficient and compact alternative to traditional motors.

2. How does the St. Louis Motor work?

The St. Louis Motor works by using a combination of electromagnets and permanent magnets to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the motor's rotor, causing it to spin and generate mechanical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a St. Louis Motor?

Some advantages of using a St. Louis Motor include its compact size, high efficiency, and low maintenance requirements. It also allows for precise control over speed and direction, making it useful for a variety of applications.

4. Can the St. Louis Motor be used in renewable energy systems?

Yes, the St. Louis Motor can be used in renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. Its high efficiency and ability to control speed make it a valuable component in these systems.

5. Is the St. Louis Motor still in use today?

While it is not as commonly used as other types of motors, the St. Louis Motor is still in use today in various industrial and commercial applications. Its compact size and efficiency make it a popular choice for certain tasks.