St Patrick's Day

• Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
Anyone celebrating yet ?

Re: St Patricks Day

I'm Irish one day a year. It's hereditary, my parents were Irish one day a year.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm not, since I'm not Irish!

Evo

Mentor
I'm Irish, but I'm working, no celebrating for me.

Danger

Gold Member
W and I had our Paddy's party Saturday. The local Legion has one this coming Saturday, which we'll attend. Being an atheist, the 'St.' part of the day would normally preclude my participation... but the beer makes up for it. :biggrin:

I'm Irish, but I'm working, no celebrating for me.
I'm part Irish... but I'm pregnant. No Guinness for me this year. :grumpy:

Danger

Gold Member
Congrats on being pregnant physics girl. I guess I'll have a pint for you.

Happy Fookin' Paddys Day!

I have Guinness. Don't work till tonight.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'll celebrate with St. Guinness later tonight.

I am irish, but this weekend I was overcome by a healthy stint and so I am eating vegetables and exercising instead of going to a bar. It is somewhat inconvenient (couldn't I have continued my period of unhealthy ways until after today?) but I have learned not to say no way my body says it would actually prefer to do a healthier activity.

drunk in the phys lounge, whoo!

turbo

Gold Member
I'm 1/2 Irish on my father's side, since the Orrs and Baileys intermarried after coming to Maine. There is an island named for each clan on the coast in Harpswell, but I don't have a piece of either. Just as well. Coastal property taxes would kill me.

Reactions to perfume have prevented me from bar-hopping, so I'll be here quietly celebrating the banishment of the snakes with a couple of Molson Goldens.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm 1/2 Irish on my father's side, since the Orrs and Baileys intermarried after coming to Maine. There is an island named for each clan on the coast in Harpswell, but I don't have a piece of either. Just as well. Coastal property taxes would kill me.

Reactions to perfume have prevented me from bar-hopping, so I'll be here quietly celebrating the banishment of the snakes with a couple of Molson Goldens.
How about just stuffing your nose with cleaning?

turbo

Gold Member
How about just stuffing your nose with cleaning?
Plugging my nose does not help. That was one of the first tests my doctor wanted to try. It doesn't matter if I can smell it or not. If I breathe it in, my body reacts.

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Like Cristo, I'm not Irish, so no, I'm not celebrating.

Any celebrating I would have done would have been yesterday:

http://www.sainturho.com/

turbo

Gold Member
Like Cristo, I'm not Irish, so no, I'm not celebrating.

Any celebrating I would have done would have been yesterday:

http://www.sainturho.com/
One of my research collaborators is Finnish. I'll have to see what he think of this. I have never met him, but I have worked with Finnish people who worked on the rebuilding of a local paper mill. They loved their saunas and beer, but seemed fairly reserved in some respects.

I am currently enjoying a glass of one the finest whiskeys known- 2004 Midleton.

Yes I am part Irish, yes I celebrated (in my own little way). Baked a loaf of soda bread for my wife and son.

Slainte!

Though I may have some Irish (and would love to, who doesn't want to be Irish) I have yet to find genealogical evidence as to any heritage of the sort.

No, I'm not really celebrating.

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
One of my research collaborators is Finnish. I'll have to see what he think of this. I have never met him, but I have worked with Finnish people who worked on the rebuilding of a local paper mill. They loved their saunas and beer, but seemed fairly reserved in some respects.
Besides being Finnish myself, I have another tie to St. Urho: I was born in Virginia, MN (One of the places the legend is thought to have originated from) around the same time as the legend started.

Besides being Finnish myself, I have another tie to St. Urho: I was born in Virginia, MN (One of the places the legend is thought to have originated from) around the same time as the legend started.
What if the legend is about YOU??? Lol.

Danger

Gold Member

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm part Irish... but I'm pregnant. No Guinness for me this year. :grumpy:
Congrats on being pregnant physics girl. I guess I'll have a pint for you.

An Irish man walks into a pub. The bartender asks him, "what'll you have?"

The man says, "Give me three pints of Guinness please."

So the bartender brings him three pints and the man proceeds to alternately sip one, then the other, then the third until they're gone. He then orders three more.

The bartender says, "Sir, I know you like them cold. You don't have to order three at a time. I can keep an eye on it and when you get low I'll bring you a fresh cold one."

The man says, "You don't understand. I have two brothers, one in Australia and one in the States. We made a vow to each other that every Saturday night we'd still drink together. So right now, my brothers have three Guinness Stouts too, and we're drinking together.

The bartender thought that was a wonderful tradition. Over the years, all the customers came to know how the man and his brothers kept each other in their thoughts with the three beers.

Then one week he came in and ordered only two. He drank them and then ordered two more. The entire bar was crushed. The two beers could only mean one thing.

The bartender said to him, "I know what your tradition is, and I'd just like to say that I'm so sorry. Which one was it? The one in Australia or the one in the States?"

The man had no idea what the bartender could be asking, "What do you mean which is it? Which is it, what?"

The puzzled bartender replied, "You're only drinking two beers. I, I mean we, just assumed one of your brothers must be dead and all of us wish you the most sincere condolences."

"What? No, no, drinking two beers isn't bad news! It's great news! I'm getting married a month from today! Most beautiful lass you could ever lay eyes on. Unfortunately, she won't marry a man that drinks, so I've had to give up drinking. Thank God me brothers are still single, though."

Last edited:
An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walk into a pub and each order a pint.

The three receive their pints but then simultaneously a fly plops into each of their three mugs.

The Englishman pushes his away and orders another.

The Scotsman plucks the fly out, flicks it across the bar, and continues drinking.

The Irishman squeezes the fly over the mug yelling, "Spit it out you wee bastard! Spit it out!"

turbo

Gold Member
Ari emailed me back last night and said that some folklore students had tried (unsuccessfully) to establish a mock holiday around that story, though grasshoppers have never been much of a problem in Finland, and they have no vineyards.