Celebrate St Patrick's Day - Are You?

• Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, neither. I quit drinking."In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Many of the participants are of Irish descent but are unable to celebrate for various reasons, such as work or pregnancy. Some share their plans for the day, including attending a party at the local Legion or staying in and drinking Molson Goldens. Others discuss their ties to Ireland, such as being part Irish or having Finnish heritage. The conversation ends with a joke about three brothers who always drink together on Saturdays, but the punchline reveals that one of the brothers has quit drinking.
CFDFEAGURU
Anyone celebrating yet ?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm Irish one day a year. It's hereditary, my parents were Irish one day a year.

I'm not, since I'm not Irish!

I'm Irish, but I'm working, no celebrating for me.

W and I had our Paddy's party Saturday. The local Legion has one this coming Saturday, which we'll attend. Being an atheist, the 'St.' part of the day would normally preclude my participation... but the beer makes up for it. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I'm Irish, but I'm working, no celebrating for me.

I'm part Irish... but I'm pregnant. No Guinness for me this year. :grumpy:

physics girl phd said:

That's just bad planning on your part. No sympathy from me. :tongue:

Congrats on being pregnant physics girl. I guess I'll have a pint for you.

Happy Fookin' Paddys Day!

I have Guinness. Don't work till tonight.

I'll celebrate with St. Guinness later tonight.

I am irish, but this weekend I was overcome by a healthy stint and so I am eating vegetables and exercising instead of going to a bar. It is somewhat inconvenient (couldn't I have continued my period of unhealthy ways until after today?) but I have learned not to say no way my body says it would actually prefer to do a healthier activity.

drunk in the phys lounge, whoo!

I'm 1/2 Irish on my father's side, since the Orrs and Baileys intermarried after coming to Maine. There is an island named for each clan on the coast in Harpswell, but I don't have a piece of either. Just as well. Coastal property taxes would kill me.

Reactions to perfume have prevented me from bar-hopping, so I'll be here quietly celebrating the banishment of the snakes with a couple of Molson Goldens.

turbo-1 said:
I'm 1/2 Irish on my father's side, since the Orrs and Baileys intermarried after coming to Maine. There is an island named for each clan on the coast in Harpswell, but I don't have a piece of either. Just as well. Coastal property taxes would kill me.

Reactions to perfume have prevented me from bar-hopping, so I'll be here quietly celebrating the banishment of the snakes with a couple of Molson Goldens.

How about just stuffing your nose with cleaning?

JasonRox said:
How about just stuffing your nose with cleaning?
Plugging my nose does not help. That was one of the first tests my doctor wanted to try. It doesn't matter if I can smell it or not. If I breathe it in, my body reacts.

Like Cristo, I'm not Irish, so no, I'm not celebrating.

Any celebrating I would have done would have been yesterday:

http://www.sainturho.com/

Janus said:
Like Cristo, I'm not Irish, so no, I'm not celebrating.

Any celebrating I would have done would have been yesterday:

http://www.sainturho.com/
One of my research collaborators is Finnish. I'll have to see what he think of this. I have never met him, but I have worked with Finnish people who worked on the rebuilding of a local paper mill. They loved their saunas and beer, but seemed fairly reserved in some respects.

I am currently enjoying a glass of one the finest whiskeys known- 2004 Midleton.

Yes I am part Irish, yes I celebrated (in my own little way). Baked a loaf of soda bread for my wife and son.

Slainte!

Though I may have some Irish (and would love to, who doesn't want to be Irish) I have yet to find genealogical evidence as to any heritage of the sort.

No, I'm not really celebrating.

turbo-1 said:
One of my research collaborators is Finnish. I'll have to see what he think of this. I have never met him, but I have worked with Finnish people who worked on the rebuilding of a local paper mill. They loved their saunas and beer, but seemed fairly reserved in some respects.

Besides being Finnish myself, I have another tie to St. Urho: I was born in Virginia, MN (One of the places the legend is thought to have originated from) around the same time as the legend started.

Janus said:
Besides being Finnish myself, I have another tie to St. Urho: I was born in Virginia, MN (One of the places the legend is thought to have originated from) around the same time as the legend started.

What if the legend is about YOU? Lol.

binzing said:
What if the legend is about YOU? Lol.

Naaa... I'm pretty sure that Urho had more hair.

physics girl phd said:

CFDFEAGURU said:
Congrats on being pregnant physics girl. I guess I'll have a pint for you.

An Irish man walks into a pub. The bartender asks him, "what'll you have?"

The man says, "Give me three pints of Guinness please."

So the bartender brings him three pints and the man proceeds to alternately sip one, then the other, then the third until they're gone. He then orders three more.

The bartender says, "Sir, I know you like them cold. You don't have to order three at a time. I can keep an eye on it and when you get low I'll bring you a fresh cold one."

The man says, "You don't understand. I have two brothers, one in Australia and one in the States. We made a vow to each other that every Saturday night we'd still drink together. So right now, my brothers have three Guinness Stouts too, and we're drinking together.

The bartender thought that was a wonderful tradition. Over the years, all the customers came to know how the man and his brothers kept each other in their thoughts with the three beers.

Then one week he came in and ordered only two. He drank them and then ordered two more. The entire bar was crushed. The two beers could only mean one thing.

The bartender said to him, "I know what your tradition is, and I'd just like to say that I'm so sorry. Which one was it? The one in Australia or the one in the States?"

The man had no idea what the bartender could be asking, "What do you mean which is it? Which is it, what?"

The puzzled bartender replied, "You're only drinking two beers. I, I mean we, just assumed one of your brothers must be dead and all of us wish you the most sincere condolences."

"What? No, no, drinking two beers isn't bad news! It's great news! I'm getting married a month from today! Most beautiful lass you could ever lay eyes on. Unfortunately, she won't marry a man that drinks, so I've had to give up drinking. Thank God me brothers are still single, though."

Last edited:
An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walk into a pub and each order a pint.

The three receive their pints but then simultaneously a fly plops into each of their three mugs.

The Englishman pushes his away and orders another.

The Scotsman plucks the fly out, flicks it across the bar, and continues drinking.

The Irishman squeezes the fly over the mug yelling, "Spit it out you wee bastard! Spit it out!"

Janus said:
Ari emailed me back last night and said that some folklore students had tried (unsuccessfully) to establish a mock holiday around that story, though grasshoppers have never been much of a problem in Finland, and they have no vineyards.

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Government+to+sanction+selling+of+liqueurs+at+vineyards/1135239656473 [Broken]

Umm Turbo, yes they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Government+to+sanction+selling+of+liqueurs+at+vineyards/1135239656473 [Broken]

Umm Turbo, yes they do.
Huh! I'll have to alert Ari. He said that grapes aren't grown in Finland - maybe it's only on really modest scales. We can grow grapes in Maine, but they have to be incredibly frost-resistant to ripen on the vine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people don't like St Patrick's Day - http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/18/dobbs-attacks-st-patricks-day/

He does have one good idea - we should have an American Day. How come no one thought of that before? We could shoot fireworks and stuff.

I have to admit I think St Patrick's Day ranks down there with holidays like Columbus Day. St Patrick's Day is the day all the alcoholics get to pretend their Irish.

I'd rather talk like a pirate than a leprechaun. Pirates have better fashion, too.

BobG said:
Some people don't like St Patrick's Day - http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/18/dobbs-attacks-st-patricks-day/

He does have one good idea - we should have an American Day. How come no one thought of that before? We could shoot fireworks and stuff.

I have to admit I think St Patrick's Day ranks down there with holidays like Columbus Day. St Patrick's Day is the day all the alcoholics get to pretend their Irish.

I'd rather talk like a pirate than a leprechaun. Pirates have better fashion, too.

There were plenty of Irish pirates. ;-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
There were plenty of Irish pirates. ;-)

Okay, you convinced me.

I'm now a big fan of Talk like a Viking Day.

I'm also kind of a fan of Talk like Truman Capote Day.

Oh, and don't forget Walk Like an Egyptian Day.

It's little known trivia, but the last two happen to be on the same day.

1. What is the history behind St. Patrick's Day?

St. Patrick's Day originated as a religious holiday in Ireland to honor the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick. It is believed that St. Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland in the 5th century and used the three-leaf clover, or shamrock, to explain the Holy Trinity. Over time, the holiday has evolved into a celebration of Irish culture and heritage.

2. Why is the color green associated with St. Patrick's Day?

The color green is associated with St. Patrick's Day because it is the color of Ireland's lush landscape and the shamrock, which is a symbol of the holiday. Green is also associated with luck and is believed to bring good fortune.

3. How is St. Patrick's Day celebrated?

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in various ways, depending on the location. In Ireland, it is a national holiday and is typically celebrated with parades, festivals, and traditional Irish music and dancing. In other parts of the world, celebrations may include wearing green, attending parades, and enjoying traditional Irish food and drinks, such as corned beef and cabbage and green beer.

4. What are some traditional symbols of St. Patrick's Day?

Some traditional symbols of St. Patrick's Day include the shamrock, the harp, the leprechaun, and the pot of gold. These symbols are often used in decorations and festivities to represent Irish culture and traditions.

5. Is St. Patrick's Day only celebrated in Ireland?

No, St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and Japan. It is a popular holiday that celebrates Irish culture and heritage, and many people of Irish descent or those who simply enjoy the holiday's festivities participate in the celebrations.