Stability and Critical points-

In summary, the equation has critical points where both numerator and denominator are 0, but x^2+ y^2= 0 only at (0, 0).
pat666
Stability and Critical points---Please Help

Homework Statement

I need to know the critical points and stability of this ode
[tex](2xy-5)dx+(x^2+y^2)dy=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've graphed this is Mathematica (attached) but I don't know if its stable or what the critical points are.

Attachments

• 1igraph.png
    1igraph.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org

Your equation can be written as
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{5- 2xy}{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]

Critical points occur where both numerator and denominator are 0. Of course, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 0[/itex] only at (0, 0) and that does not make 5- 2xy= 0. This equation has NO critical points.

Thanks again HallsofIvy - - lifesaver
what about stability?
could you help me out with this one please
[tex]dy/dx=(-2x-y^2)/4xy) [/tex] I put the dy/dx on LHS as per your example.
-2x-y^2=o at (0,0) which does make the denominator 0 as well, so it does have critcal points but what are they?

THANKS!

Also any idea what either of these 2ODE's could be used to model?

Last edited:

As you must said, (0, 0) makes both numerator and denominator 0 so (0, 0) is the only critical point.

I personally find it simpler to think of problems like these as two separate equations. If
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{F(x, y)}{G(x,y)}[/tex]
then, introducing the parameter t, we must have
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= F(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= G(x,y)[/tex]

If we think of t as "time", we can think of these equations as describing motion in the xy plane.

"Critcal points" (or, as I would say, "equilibrium" points) are where everything is "balanced"- neither x nor y changes: F(x,y)= 0, G(x,y)= 0.

Now, what happens if x and y are close to a critical point? dx/dt and dy/dt are not 0 so the point will "move" but will it move toward or away from the critical point? If such a point always moves closer to the critical point, that is a stable point. If it can move away from the critical point, that is an unstable point.

Here, you critical point is (0, 0) and your "equations of motion" are
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= 4xy[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= -(2x+ y^2)[/tex]

If x is a small positive number and y is 0, that gives
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= -2x[/tex]
so the "motion" is really a circulation, not going toward or away from (0, 0).

If y is a small positive number and x is 0, we have
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= -y^2[/tex]
downward, so now the point is moving toward (0, 0).

But if y is a small negative number and is 0, because of that square, we have
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= -y^2[/tex]
still downward but now way from (0, 0).

Because it is possible to move away, this is an unstable point.

Can this be done by looking at the/a graph, I was asked to "comment" on stability and critical points and got the feeling that it didn't require extra math. I have learn't phase planes but I said that a phase plane could not be drawn for this one, but that could be because I don't know the correct mathematica code to do it for this particular one?
Also, hope I'm not asking to much but you seem to be the only person on PF who understands this stuff and is willing to help. Could you take a look at this thread and see what you think PLEEEEEASE: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3215933#post3215933

Thankyou

1. What is stability in the context of critical points?

Stability refers to the behavior of a system around a critical point, which is a point where the derivative of the system is equal to zero. A stable critical point means that the system will return to its original state after a disturbance, while an unstable critical point means the system will move away from its original state.

2. How is stability determined for critical points?

Stability is determined by analyzing the behavior of the system's derivatives around the critical point. If the derivatives are positive on one side of the critical point and negative on the other, it is a stable critical point. If the derivatives are either positive or negative on both sides, it is an unstable critical point. Additionally, the number of derivatives that change sign around the critical point can also indicate stability.

3. What is the significance of critical points in a system?

Critical points are important because they represent points where the behavior of the system changes. They can mark the transition from one state to another, such as from a stable to an unstable state. Additionally, critical points can help us understand the long-term behavior of a system and predict its future behavior.

4. How does the type of critical point affect the stability of a system?

The type of critical point, whether it is a stable or unstable point, directly affects the stability of a system. Stable critical points indicate that the system will return to its original state after a disturbance, while unstable critical points indicate that the system will move away from its original state. The type of critical point can also determine the type of behavior exhibited by the system around that point.

5. Can a system have multiple critical points?

Yes, a system can have multiple critical points. These points may have different types of stability, and the behavior of the system around each point will differ. It is important to analyze all critical points in a system to fully understand its behavior.