1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of a linear system

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the stability of the following linear system

[itex]y(n) = 0.5x(n) +100x(n-2) - 20x(n-10)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]x(n) = 0.5\delta(n) [/itex]

[itex]S=\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}\left| h(k)\right|[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]Z \left\{ 0.5x(n) +100x(n-2) - 20x(n-10) \right\} [/itex]

[itex] Z \left\{y(n) \right\} = \frac{xz}{2(z-1)^2}+100x(\frac{z}{(z-1)^2}-\frac{2z}{(z-1)})-(\frac{20x}{(z-1)^2}-\frac{10z}{(z-1)}) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{80.5xz}{(z-1)^2}[/itex]

Now at this point we were told that there should be a polynomial in the numerator... did I go about this all wrong? Any recommend reading would be helpful as I have exhausted Google searching for a similar problem.

My original approach was simply to take the geometric series and use each coefficient from this equation if the formula [itex]\sum\frac{1}{1-a}[/itex]

My result was [itex] \approx -.47 [/itex] which I though would be marginally stable as it is between -1 and 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2
    I don't know what you did, but typically one does not consider a specific input when determining the stability of a system; rather, one determines if the system is BIBO stable (bounded output for all bounded inputs).

Anyway, a reasonable approach is to apply the Z-transform to the equation for y[n] to get an equation for Z{y[n]} in terms of Z{x[n]} using the "time shifting" property. Then factor out Z{x[n]} from each of the terms.

To get the transfer function, divide by Z{x[n]}.

You may manipulate both numerator and denominator to get polynomials for each. If you have a number of terms with different denominators added, write them in terms of a common denominator. If the numerator or denominator have negative powers of z, mutliply the numerator and denominator by a term with a corresponding positive power of z. Similiarly, if something such as 1/(1 + z) appears in the denominator, multiply both numerator and denominator by (1 + z).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    I had a feeling this was a strange question which doesn't help since I don't fully understand how to obtain transfer functions in the first place.

So applying the time shift

[itex]0.5X(n) + z^{-2}100X(z) -20z^{-10}(z)[/itex]

Collect the [itex]X(z)[/itex]'s This transform is from the time shift right?

[itex]X(z)= 0.5 + \frac{100}{z^{2}} - \frac{20}{z^{10}}[/itex]

So from here I could just manipulate the numerator and denominator to get whatever it is I need, yes? Now dividing by [itex]Z\left\{x[n]\right\}[/itex] I don't understand what value that would be in this case.

The time shift was the key for me! Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. Jul 28, 2011 #4
    This is wrong. It should be something like:

[itex]Y(z)= \left(0.5 + \frac{100}{z^{2}} - \frac{20}{z^{10}}\right)X(z)[/itex]

This is a transfer function:
    [itex]\frac{Y(z)}{X(z)}= \left(0.5 + \frac{100}{z^{2}} - \frac{20}{z^{10}}\right)[/itex]

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Ah, so it has a transfer function of one! I didn't think that it would be that easy. This also means that is stable (poles at zero) so I think we are all set. Thanks again!

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6
    No, the system's transfer function is

[itex]\left(0.5 + \frac{100}{z^{2}} - \frac{20}{z^{10}}\right)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook