1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of a solution

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a(t), b(t) and c(t) be continuous functions of t over the interval [tex][0,\infty)[/tex]. Assume (x,y) = [tex](\phi(t), \psi(t))[/tex] is a solution of the system
    [tex]\dot{x} = -a^2(t)y + b(t), \dot{y} = a^2(t)x + c(t)[/tex]

Show that this solution is stable.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rearranged the system to get

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\binom{x}{y} = \binom{-a^2(t)y + b(t)}{a^2(t)x + c(t)}
    = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & -a^2(t) \\ a^2(t) & 0 \end{array} \right)\binom{x}{y} + \binom{b(t)}{c(t)}[/tex]

I've only dealt with constant coefficient linear systems before, so I'm having trouble with this question.

Let [tex]A = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & -a^2(t) \\ a^2(t) & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex].

I'm not sure if I can treat A like a constant matrix, i.e. take the determinant of A to be [tex]a^4(t)[/tex] and trace(A) = 0 by treating t as constant. Also, what role does the [tex]\binom{b(t)}{c(t)}[/tex] play here?

Can someone please help me?

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3
    Do I need to find a Lyapunov function?
  5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    Couldn´t you just find an integrating factor h integrate the whole thing and find an integral expression for the whole thing.
    Then you got the time T operator differentiate ( take integral sign away) and show that your solution is an eigenvector with Eigenvalue(floquet multiplier) = 1 for the system?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?