1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of a system of DE's

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the stationary solution(s) of the following system of DE and determine its stability:
    [itex]x'=x-x^3-xy^2[/itex].
    [itex]y'=2y-y^5-x^4y[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]x'=0, y'=0[/itex].
    Expansion of x and y around the critical point: [itex]x=x_0+\alpha[/itex], [itex]y=y_0+\beta[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved [itex]x'=y'=0[/itex], this gave me [itex]x= \pm \sqrt {1-y^2}[/itex] or [itex]x=0[/itex]. And [itex]y=\pm \sqrt {\pm \sqrt {2-x^4}}[/itex]. Which is likely to give me 12 critical points. Let's consider the [itex](0,0)[/itex] first...
    I expanded x around [itex]x_0=y_0=0[/itex] via [itex]x=x_0+\alpha[/itex]. I reached that "[itex]x'=x-x^3-xy^2[/itex]" linearizes as [itex]\alpha ' \approx \alpha (1-3x_0^2-y_0^2)+x_0-x_0^3-x_0y_0^2-2x_0y_0\beta[/itex]. Here I see that I'm lucky that I chose first the critical point [itex](0,0)[/itex] because the linearization reduces to [itex]\alpha ' =\alpha[/itex] and so [itex]\alpha =Ae^t[/itex]. Right here I notice that when t grows up, so does alpha. So that I can already say that [itex](x,y)=(0,0)[/itex] is not a stable critical point. Is my reasoning right?

P.S.:This is the very first exercise in the assignment of the course dealing with the study of critical points... Looks already quite complicated to me. :/

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This looks ok so far.

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok! Very good to know. Thanks for having taught me how to tackle these kind of problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook