Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of Area of Triangle?

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1

Consider the following algorithm for computing the area of a triangle with sides of length A, B, and C:

S = (A+B+C) / 2
    Area1(A,B,C) = sqrt(S(S-C)(S-B)(S-A)).

A) Explain why this approach is unstable, and illustrate with an example.

B) A student proposes the following less efficient, but more stable, approach:

Area2(A,B,C) = sqrt((A+B+C)(A+B-C)(A-B+C)(-A+B+C)) / 4

Explain why this approach is still unstable and illustrate with an example.

C) Reaarange the formula to produce a more stable version. Explain why it is more stable.

I really have no clue on how to start off but for parts A) and B), I plan to insert arbitrary values of A, B and C, compare the area of the triangle using sides A, B, and C, versus the value of the area after using the Area1 and Area2 equations as examples. I am guessing the compared values will differ greatly and as a result makes this "approach" unstable.

For Part C) however, I have no clue how to begin. Am I suppose to create my own formula? Or modify theirs? What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure what "stability" is supposed to mean. I'll assume that it means expression without minus signs. With very little difficulty I got:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?