Stability of Paired vs. Unpaired Electrons

In summary, unpaired electrons are more reactive than paired electrons. This enhanced reactivity is due to their lower energy levels.
scope
hi,

does anyone there know why two (antiparallel) electrons with net spin 0(paired electrons) are more stable than two unpaired electrons?

is it because the magnetic attraction between the magnetic dipoles of these 2 electrons?

this is a basic question therefore I need to understand it well!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
does anyone there now why two (antiparallel) electrons with net spin 0 are more stable than an unpaired electron?

I don't see how those two states are directly comparable, since they can't be the same system. In the former case you'd have an even number of electrons, in the latter, an odd number of electrons. Either you have a singlet (all paired) or a triplet (two unpaired parallel spins), a quintet (four unpaired parallel spins) and so on, or you have a doublet (one unpaired), quartet (three unpaired parallel) and so on.

If the energy levels are degenerate, then the most stable state will normally be the one with the largest possible spin (Hund's rule). E.g. O2, which has a triplet ground state because its HOMO is the doubly-degenerate pi*-orbitals.

The reason why most compounds are singlets is simply because you have two electrons per orbital (per the Pauli principle), and the orbitals aren't usually degenerate. But if you look at, say, transition-metal compounds, you often have degenerate d-levels, and subsequently end up with high-spin compounds quite often.

ok, sorry I was just wondering about comparing 2 antiparallel electrons with net spin 0 and 2 electrons that are parallel. for example i have read this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddo-Harkins_rule

" In elements with even atomic numbers, protons are paired, with each member of the pair offsetting the spin of the other, enhancing stability "

the same principle applies for electrons, so I was wondering what is the cause for this? I believe this is related to magnetic moment that lead to a magnetic attraction, or i am wrong?

alxm said:
I don't see how those two states are directly comparable, since they can't be the same system. In the former case you'd have an even number of electrons, in the latter, an odd number of electrons. Either you have a singlet (all paired) or a triplet (two unpaired parallel spins), a quintet (four unpaired parallel spins) and so on, or you have a doublet (one unpaired), quartet (three unpaired parallel) and so on.

If the energy levels are degenerate, then the most stable state will normally be the one with the largest possible spin (Hund's rule). E.g. O2, which has a triplet ground state because its HOMO is the doubly-degenerate pi*-orbitals.

The reason why most compounds are singlets is simply because you have two electrons per orbital (per the Pauli principle), and the orbitals aren't usually degenerate. But if you look at, say, transition-metal compounds, you often have degenerate d-levels, and subsequently end up with high-spin compounds quite often.

But this statement(Hunds rule) works well for unpaired electrons. But unpaired electrons are less stable than paired electrons, because unpaired electrons are more reactive. Do you agree with this, and what is the explanation for this enhanced stability?

alxm's explanation is right. The direct magnetic interaction of two spins is tiny and does not play any role.

ok, but why unpaired electrons are more reactive than paired electrons? if they are more reactive, this seems to mean they are less stable

It has nothing to do with stability I suppose. They just tend to have lower energy because the orbital space for 2 is much more limited (their position is more defined) and forming of the molecules is exotermic reaction for that reason.

well a chemical reaction occurs because its products are more stable. further reactivity means further chemical reaction and therefore less stability. don't you agree?

Yes but it has nothing with the momentum. It has to do with that that the electron functions with placing 2 elelctrons in that space (chemical bonds) have lower energy. The magnetum momentum is not considered. the lowest energy for electron orbital function is with 2 electrons, that's a solution of wave functions. And the world is just so. Please do not correlate the enthalpy for chemical bond with magnetic spin.

1. What is the difference between paired and unpaired electrons?

Paired electrons are electrons that have opposite spins and occupy the same orbital, while unpaired electrons have the same spin and occupy different orbitals.

2. Why is the stability of paired electrons higher than unpaired electrons?

This is because paired electrons have opposite spins, which creates a magnetic field that cancels out the spin, making the electron more stable. Unpaired electrons, on the other hand, have the same spin, creating a stronger magnetic field and making them more reactive.

3. How does the stability of paired and unpaired electrons affect chemical bonding?

The stability of paired electrons makes them less likely to participate in chemical bonding, while unpaired electrons are more reactive and can easily form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable configuration.

4. Can the stability of paired and unpaired electrons change?

Yes, the stability of electrons can change depending on the external environment. For example, unpaired electrons can become more stable by pairing with another electron or by being influenced by a nearby atom.

5. How does the stability of paired and unpaired electrons affect the properties of an element?

The stability of paired and unpaired electrons directly affects the physical and chemical properties of an element. Elements with unpaired electrons tend to be more reactive and have higher melting and boiling points due to their ability to form strong bonds. Elements with paired electrons are more stable and tend to have lower reactivity and melting and boiling points.