Stability of geometrical isomers

In summary: Yes. Hence in post 2 where I said that hydrogen bonding is key. The distances involved in hydrogen bonding are optimal in the 1,3 diol. The distances are too small (and roughly equal) for the vicinal diols.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Among the following, which should be the most stable compound?
1)Cis-cyclohexane-1,2-diol
2)Trans-cyclohexane-1,2-diol
3)Cis-cyclohexane-1,3-diol
4)Trans-cyclohexane-1,3-diol

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process is-cis isomers with adjacent OH groups lead to Hydrogen bonding so 1) should be the most stable, I'm not sure if repulsion will be the dominating factor and change the answer- what is the correct way to think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Among the following, which should be the most stable compound?
1)Cis-cyclohexane-1,2-diol
2)Trans-cyclohexane-1,2-diol
3)Cis-cyclohexane-1,3-diol
4)Trans-cyclohexane-1,3-diol

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process is-cis isomers with adjacent OH groups lead to Hydrogen bonding so 1) should be the most stable, I'm not sure if repulsion will be the dominating factor and change the answer- what is the correct way to think about this?
Hydrogen bonding is the right idea, but why favor 1) over 2)? If the OH groups are trans equatorial, their geometrical relationship is the same as for cis gauche. Also, repulsion will definitely be a factor for the vicinal diols.

TeethWhitener said:
Hydrogen bonding is the right idea, but why favor 1) over 2)? If the OH groups are trans equatorial, their geometrical relationship is the same as for cis gauche. Also, repulsion will definitely be a factor for the vicinal diols.
doesn't trans mean they're farther away therefore reducing the effectiveness of hydrogen bonding? At least relative to the cis configuration

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
doesn't trans mean they're farther away therefore reducing the effectiveness of hydrogen bonding? At least relative to the cis configuration
This is where a molecular model comes in handy. When one OH is in the equatorial position of the chair conformation, it is equidistant from the vicinal cis and vicinal trans positions.

Alright, I looked at the model and saw the truth in that. But now both 1) and 2) can be correct- how do we gather that 2 is the correct option?

Also the fact that I won't have models in the exam puts me at unease...but I'll just have to remember I guess

Alright, confusingly -I found that the answer key says the most stable form is cis-cyclohexane-1,3-diol

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Alright, I looked at the model and saw the truth in that. But now both 1) and 2) can be correct- how do we gather that 2 is the correct option?
2 is not the correct option. 1 and 2 will be roughly equal in stability. My point was to steer you away from 1 and 2.
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Alright, confusingly -I found that the answer key says the most stable form is cis-cyclohexane-1,3-diol
Yes. Hence in post 2 where I said that hydrogen bonding is key. The distances involved in hydrogen bonding are optimal in the 1,3 diol. The distances are too small (and roughly equal) for the vicinal diols.

sorry for the late reply, we just have so much coursework that it is proving hard to review previous questions. Please forgive me if I forget to thank you for taking the time to help me, I'll try to reply with a better understanding as soon as I can, thank you :D

1. What are geometrical isomers?

Geometrical isomers are molecules that have the same chemical formula and connectivity, but differ in the arrangement of atoms or groups around a double bond or ring structure.

2. What is the difference between cis- and trans- isomers?

Cis-isomers have similar groups on the same side of a double bond or ring structure, while trans-isomers have similar groups on opposite sides.

3. How does the stability of geometrical isomers differ?

Cis-isomers are generally less stable than trans-isomers due to steric hindrance between similar groups on the same side of the molecule, which causes strain. Trans-isomers have a more extended structure, making them more stable.

4. What factors affect the stability of geometrical isomers?

The factors that affect the stability of geometrical isomers include steric hindrance, electronic effects, and conformational energy. Steric hindrance refers to the repulsion between atoms or groups, while electronic effects refer to the influence of electron distribution on the stability of the molecule. Conformational energy is the energy required to change the shape of a molecule.

5. How can the stability of geometrical isomers be determined?

The stability of geometrical isomers can be determined through computational methods, such as molecular modeling, or through experimental techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. By comparing the relative energies of different isomers, their stability can be determined.