Stability of the Solar System

In summary, the conversation is about trying to locate a free download of a paper by M.V. Berry titled "Stability of the Solar System," possibly published in 1979. There is some confusion about the correct title and reference, but a link is provided for a publication with a similar title and the correct title is eventually confirmed as "regular & irregular motion."
astronomia84
I'm trying to find a location in the Internet where I can download (for free) the following paper:
M.V.Berry , "Stability of the Solar System" (possibly 1979)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you sure that's the correct title? Do you have a specific reference? If you have the journal reference, then it will be a lot easier to track down (although whether it'll be free or not is a different matter!)

Here is the publication list of the first google hit for M.V.Berry (with pdf links to all the papers) however, I'm not sure that it's the correct person.

I'll check but I think that was a book.

Would this be what you are referring to?

“Chaotic Behaviour in the Solar System,” in M.V. Berry, I.C. Percival, and N.O. Weiss (eds.), Dynamical Chaos (1987)

Thanks for the posts,finally the right title is "regular & irregular motion".
Cristo:Thanks for link

astronomia84 said:
Thanks for the posts,finally the right title is "regular & irregular motion".
Cristo:Thanks for link

No worries: glad you found what you were looking for!

What is the concept of stability in the solar system?

The stability of the solar system refers to the ability of the system to maintain its structure and orderly motion over time. This includes the stable orbits of the planets around the sun and the maintenance of the overall balance of the system.

What factors contribute to the stability of the solar system?

The stability of the solar system is influenced by various factors such as the gravitational pull of the sun, the mass and position of the planets, and the presence of other celestial bodies like moons, asteroids, and comets. The precise balance of these factors is what allows the system to remain stable.

Is the solar system always stable?

The solar system is relatively stable on a long-term scale, but there are small variations and disturbances that can occur over time. These can include the occasional collision between celestial bodies or the influence of gravitational forces from other stars and galaxies. However, these variations are minor and do not significantly impact the overall stability of the system.

What would happen if the solar system lost its stability?

If the solar system were to lose its stability, it could result in significant changes to the orbits of the planets, potentially causing them to collide or be ejected from the system. This could also lead to changes in the climate and conditions on Earth, affecting the potential for life to exist. However, it is highly unlikely that the solar system would lose its stability in the foreseeable future.

How do scientists study the stability of the solar system?

Scientists study the stability of the solar system through various methods, including observations of the movements of celestial bodies, computer simulations, and mathematical models. They also analyze data from past events, such as meteor impacts, to understand the effects of disturbances on the system's stability. Ongoing research and advancements in technology allow scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the solar system's stability and its potential future changes.